Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whole Lotta Emails

• Please log in to reply

odirish

odirish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I recieve 70 to 100 junk emails a day. Can someone tell me how to stop them?

Mary Ann

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
This really belongs in Web Browsers & E-mails, but there is no reason not to help you, :whistling:. Anyways lets get straight to it. What e-mail client do you use? Hotmail? Yahoo, etc?

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 11:01 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You may be getting spammed! You also are maybe sending out emails to random people. The best thing to do is if you are not using something like yahoo or something in similar, contact your ISP if you are using there email and ask to get it changed.

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm not sure what you mean, but I use Outlook Express.

Mary Ann

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
who is your internet provider?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo

the trouble with outlook express is that all your emails end up in your computer and one only has to look at this link to understand how dangerous that is:
http://www.viruslist...apter=153280684

so whatever your server is I suggest that you go onto their site and find the "read you mails" link and put in your username and password then see your emails online, some servers offer a spam bin but eitherway those mails being seen of site as opposed to in your own computer means that you avoid a lot problems; however, if after seeing the mails on line, there are still some of them that you wish to download to your computer then you can since you can still use outlook express

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
The reason I asked what your e-mail client is, so I know what solution to give to you. Anyways, you should get a new e-mail account, and avoid signing up for free stuff. Also, if you have a junk e-mail filter, I suggest you set it to a high setting, this is available in most online e-mail clients, such as Hotmail, and Yahoo. It's also possible your being spammed, and viruses can in spam. So you should also scan your computer for viruses.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your problem is a most common one, email spam. Most reputable antimalware software providers include anti spam feature in their suit. Among them: Zone Alarm, AVG, Norton and others. All these cost money, non available for free. Outlook Express has no spam filtering but if you use Office and has Office Outlook, there is a spam filtering which you can use.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think the battle is unwinable in the long term so I normally change my email address once every so often, hotmail and yahoo are free and one only needs to mail direct friends and family that the address has changed

I totally agree with the poster who suggested making one rubbish bin email address for those sites that require of you your email address which one never looks at on your computer but always using the way I mentioned before: veiwing your email on site

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I use verizon. I downloaded a spam filter and it's good for 15 days. Don't know what I'll do after that. You think that I should contact Verizon?

Mary Ann

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah its best. Soon you'll be overrided and will be sending email attachments to random people.. better get it changed

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just observed this post with interest, because, like Mary Ann, I use Outlook Express and get spammed every day. I have Outlook on my computer, but I've never used it because a friend told me that Outlook Express was a leaner, meaner version of basically the same client. Is this correct?

What would you say is the big difference between the two?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well outlook 6 does not really have any spam blocker I know off.. I know there is a setting to automatically delete all the bulk email into the Recycle Bin while being received. The thing is, your still receiving the spam and not all of it is being blocked. It is still coming to you, just being deleted. Soon, other spammers will communicate with each other and they will go into a chain of spam and you will soon be getting 100 to 1,000 emails everyday.

This happend to me as well when we had dial up.

We had the same email for about 9 years. We decided to switch providers between the time, but kept the email. Somehow, we were being signed up for everything. When we would go on vacation, we would just let our internet sit there for a few hours getting 1,500 emails if we did not check it. Than one day we we were not aloud on the internet because spam was being sent around the world and our ISP disconnected us because of the high email usage we were causing with the company. We got it changed and we are not spammed no more.

Please change your email so you will not have to go through the risk of sending out spam to others.

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have verizon which has a spam filter. I normally don't use it because of logging in and out. I thought Outlook Express was much easier because I can view the mail without opening it. So now that everyone and their uncle are sending me spam, should I change my Internet provider or just my user account name? I logged into my Verizon Account and in my Bulk Bin are all the spam emails. Do I get rid of outlook Express? I know there are alot of questions, but I'm not really understanding what you're telling me. I'm sorry about that.

Mary Ann

Edited by odirish, 09 February 2007 - 04:56 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Just your account name needs to be changed.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 09 February 2007 - 04:57 PM.