Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whole Lotta Emails

• Please log in to reply

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Once I change my internet name, the emails will go to my old user name but...will I still be penalized for too much internet space from the old one? Something was said about that in a former post.

Mary Ann

Advertisements

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
If i log into my verizon account, I see where I can change my password. There is also create a sub-account.
Is that what I want?

Mary Ann

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah you use the sub account. I use one for myself as well.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Changing address will only give you relief for a short while and after that spam will catch up again. Many people, including myself, have their addresses in many legitimate places and changing address becomes a serious problem.

Following this thread I recalled that some two years ago I used to an antispam program called SpamFighter. It worked very well but then at a certain point of time started giving problems, freezing my computer. Removing and reloading didn't help and I got rid of it. Now I checked again and found that Spamfighter is still here, collaborating with Microsoft to develop Microsodt's antispam software. Since you brought up your spam problem I reinstalled the program and it works very well. It is free for home users. Try it. Download from here.

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just remembered something else that might help you. You can change your email address to require removal of letters or numbers.

For example, let's just say Mary Ann's address was [email protected]. She could change that to read as follows: [email protected], or even [email protected]. The REMOVETHIS text is obvious enough for most people with brains trying to send you email, but not obvious enough for many spammers, who use robots to send you email.

The double "m" you'll have to inform your contacts to remove the first "m."

You might look further into this method of reducing spam emails.

Hope this helps,

odirish

odirish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for your help with this. I'll change my email address

Mary Ann

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Tell us how it goes :whistling:

SexyKRock81

SexyKRock81

• Pip
  • 5 posts
you cant change your primary acct name/username with verizon. You CAN create up to 8 subaccounts, however. I have to agree that when it comes to giving out your email address to anyone, keep the address you dont want spam coming to, to yourself and only trusted freinds, and ask them not to send long chain mail letters with your email address in it. Any time your email address hits a registration site, its that easy for a spam bot to pick it up and next thing you know, a lot of spam is in your inbox. Create an email acct to use strictly for registering to websites and things along that line.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Outlook and outlook express have a spamfighter offered by MS. It is a pro version for 30 daysa nd converts to standard. I am very careful with what I download. I am evaluating the pro version now and seems to work quite well. I will see what the standard version does soon.

If you are getting a lot of spam, then you are either replying to a lot of free stuff OR you have a virus.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I use hotmail just registered after reading this forum (old one got spammed with 100 or so mails 2-3days) had it for 6years and no one had picked it a billion times so my new one only has a 2 behind it instead of pinkelephant000000000003445 or something Note my email isn't really pink elephant i was using it as a example...... :whistling:

Advertisements