Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Video (SLI)

• Please log in to reply

Nick USArmy

Nick USArmy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok heres the deal, Im looking to upgrade my video with a second card, But it seems like I may not be able to. I was looking at my computer I just bought and it turns out there is 1 (PCIxpress 16x) 3x PCI slots on the motherboard, But heres the prob. They are all taken! Now im not a comp genius, But im sure there is something there I can remove. So I will post my specs, and hope someone will tell me something on there that I dont need nor probably will never use.

Hardware
Base processor
PentiumD 930 (P) DC 3.0 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
Intel 945P
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery-UL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

Hard drive
300 GB SATA
7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
Port type Quantity
DVD-RAM 5X
DVD-R DL Write Once 4X
DVD+R DL Write Once 8X
DVD+R Write Once 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable 8X
DVD-R Write Once 16X
DVD-RW Rewritable 6X
DVD ROM Read 16X
CD-R Write Once 40X
CD-RW Rewritable 32X
CD-ROM Read 40X

DVD ROM
Maximum speed: 16X
Modem
56K bps data/fax modem
Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
Video Graphics
GeForce 7300LE
64 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: VGA, Composite, S-Video
Television
TV tuner card with FM tuner
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio
Realtek ALC 882 chipset
Supports up to 8 audio channels
Dolby Pro Logic II compatible
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
MultiMediaCard
Secure Digital (SD)
Micro Drive
XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) One
1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One
Audio L-R One
S-video in One
Composite video in One

I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
Parallel One
USB Four
1394 One
LAN One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone) One each

Expansion slots (available)
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (None available)
PCI Express x16 One (None available)
DIMM Slots Four (Two available)

Drive bays (available)
Bay type Quantity
5.25" external Two (None available)
3.5" internal One (None available)
Personal Media Drive One (One available)

Chassis Accessories
Camera dock lid
Remote Control
USB infrared remote and receiver
Software
NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

Key to software:
cd/dvd= media included in box
fc= only available in French Canada
nfc= not available in French Canada
Software titles that shipped with PC Software Category Software Title
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2
Microsoft Service Pack 2

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW CyberLink DVD Play
Sonic DigitalMedia Plus 7.04
Sonic MyDVD Plus 6.2
Roxio DigitalMedia Archive 2

This link will take you to a few pictures of what it all looks like if any of you need to see it visually to help me out. :whistling:

http://h10025.www1.h...n...156&lang=en

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hello.
I have taken a look at your motherboards specification and have found that yes, there is only one PCI-E slot, meaning your graphic ability is limited. You can either use a PCI or PCI-E graphic card, but PCI cards are old, outdated and don't really meet entry level anymore. You can get excellent performance from PCI-E x16 slots [personally, I'd recommend the 6800GT or 7600GT if you're on a budget and need great gaming specs]. Unfortunately since there is only one PCI-E slot, your motherboard is not SLI-capable, not to mention the cost of actually buying two identical cards which are SLI-capable on top.
So, your options would be to upgrade your graphic card which appears to be currently situated in the PCI-E slot, or upgrade your motherboard to an SLI capable motherboard and buy two identical cards that are SLI-capable if you really want an SLI system. Nonetheless, two cheap 'entry level' cards running SLI won't outperform many single cards you can buy for the same price as two SLI cards. If you need any more help, let me know

Nick USArmy

Nick USArmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright Spider, I understand ya. And just one more quick question, and keep in mind im not really on a strict budget. What would be a great PCIe card to buy for my comp atm? Something that could perform well for most games? Typically the more video demanding games . . . Oh and would I need to up pwr supply? I think i may have like a 300w max pwr supply . .?

Edited by Nick USArmy, 04 February 2007 - 12:15 PM.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Depending on your budget, I'd recommend a GeForce 7600GT(256mb memory, 560mhz GPU Clock speed, 1.4ghz memory clock speed, direct X 9.0c compatible) if your budget is under £150, but if you really want to go all out, a GeForce 8800 wouldn't go a miss, they really are at the top of the ladder at the moment, bearing in mind the 640mb version is available for around £300 and the 768mb version at £400, both have very high GPU Clock speeds, 500mhz and 575mh respectively, 1.6ghz/1.8ghz memory clock speed, DirectX 10 support.
Those are just the two main cards to get in my mind, both excellent cards, top of their class in terms of price too :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt buy a gfx card till at least the end of the month as new cards are going to start coming out this month that will be DX10 and trounce anything else on the market, X1950pro is what i would go for if i needed something half decent and i needed it now.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
On a side note, speaking as someone in the industry, SLI is for suckers.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend a GeForce 7600GT(256mb memory, 560mhz GPU Clock speed, 1.4ghz memory clock speed, direct X 9.0c compatible) if your budget is under £150, but if you really want to go all out, a GeForce 8800 wouldn't go a miss, they really are at the top of the ladder at the moment, bearing in mind the 640mb version is available for around £300 and the 768mb version at £400, both have very high GPU Clock speeds, 500mhz and 575mh respectively, 1.6ghz/1.8ghz memory clock speed, DirectX 10 support.
Those are just the two main cards to get in my mind, both excellent cards, top of their class in terms of price too :whistling:

8800GTX will be a very bad idea to buy now, over the coming weeks, the radeons are released... Which infact do beat the nVidia range. This is when the 8800GTX will drop in price massively.