Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ethernet card

• Please log in to reply

john god

john god

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
I just got a cable modem for my internet.I have a router so my son can connect. How can I tell if my ethernet card in the pc works? It says cannot detect modem.The light on the ethernet card was on than went off. Only the bottom green light was on.

Windows 98 SE I use a linksys router BEFW11S4V4 Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem
Service Electric And Cable ISP

Thanks
John

Edited by john god, 04 February 2007 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

solaris

solaris

• Pip
  • 7 posts
whr r u frm tell me. i can help u.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
new jersey with a windows 98

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Ignore "solaris". People don't need to know where you are from to really help you. Sometimes it might apply since things are different in different locations, but not in this case. Also, be wary of new users offering to assist you.

If the link light is not on, then it will not work. You might try a different cable since that is an easy test.

If I understand you correctly, you have a cable modem attached to a router which is then attached to the computer, correct?

If so, the first thing to do is to make sure that the computer can talk to the router. Most have a default IP address and should normally assign an IP address to the computer. There are often lights on the router to tell you if it is connected to another machine.

You can look at the network properties to see if settings are configured for the network interface.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
Kemasa

Thanks for your reply.
One light is on, the bottom one is green, the top one doesn't light up.
It has a yellow ? next to PCI ETHERNET CONTROLLER. It says windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.
Unkown device.

Thanks
John

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Since it is Win98, you may need to download a driver for the ethernet card. Do you know that make of the ethernet card?

I suspect once you download and install the driver for it, it should work.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
Sorry, I don't know the make of the ethernet card.
Is there a way I could find out?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Well, one way is to take it out, but that is not always easy. You could try selecting to upgrade the driver and search the internet for it (I know that is an option with XP, but not sure about 98). I am not sure if the hardware information will say the make of the card since I mainly deal with Linux.

Perhaps someone else can help with a suggestion on how to determine the driver that is need for it.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
On that pc I can't get on the internet.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Oh, yeah, that was real clever of me :-). Sorry.

Do you know if there was a CD that came with the network card? I realize that it might have gotten lost over time.

If you go into add hardware from the control panel, is there any option to see what the system things that it is?

Also, have you tried letting it try to find a driver from the install CD?

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi. I know of a program that allows you to see makes of anything in your computer. It is called System Spec. Here is the link if you want to try it out.

http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You could try downloading that program and writing it to a CD, then run it on the other machine. Everest is another program which might help:

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Again, you would need to transfer it to the other machine.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
Sorry again. I don't have a install cd. I got this pc used.