Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hello, and welcome to another one of those funny ones.
Yes, there's malware on the machine[I've done the HJT log, just waiting on the reply..] but sound doesn't work at all, yet I've tried two motherboards and the hard drive has been wiped twice.
Both of the motherboards onboard sound did work on last use, but now it seems I can't get them working.
This one is an Albatron KM400T-8X Pro, with, well, frankly I have no idea what the audio driver is. I installed the latest drivers form the Albatron website and got black/yellow exclamation marks in devmgmt, so I presumed that wasn't the correct driver. I put the disk in that came with the motherboard, it had Realtek and Via audio drivers, so I installed one after the other, no luck with either. I've tried older versions of all 3 drivers, in case the latest driver has problems in it, still no luck! I've done the usual checking of speakers, volume etc, and yet still no sound. At the moment I have "Via AC-97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)" version 6.14.1.3850 installed. I've tried letting XP install the drivers but it installed the Via driver, which obviously doesn't work. Now, devmgmt displays "Via AC-97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)" as my audio driver, but Sounds and Audio Devices reports "Via AC-97 Audio (Wave)" - WDM/Wave, I don't know the significance of that. I've checked all the IRQ's - no problems there. Onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS too. There's one last thing I have thought it could be, but am not that sure.
The case doesn't have front panel audio, only the onboard audio port at the back. Do I need to put jumpers onto the audio header pins on the motherboard for the sound circuit to be complete? If so, please tell me so, and send me some abuse for being such a loser.

Thanks,
Your-Friendly-Neighbourhood
Spiderman

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have tested a different set of speakers on your machine and see if the sound works then? Also, make sure you are plugging your speakers into the GREEN connector on the back of your PC.

Fenor