Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Single/Dual channel DDR memory questions

• Please log in to reply

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello I currently have 2 sticks of 512 DDR 400 setup in dual channel, so 1 GB total. I know that I have 2 more slots left in my mobo and I want to get another 1GB. Now there is some 512 sticks of memory on sale at my local store and are pretty cheap, however I was a bit confused about it since the memory on sale did not say dual channel (since there is 1 stick per purchase). So my question is could I buy 2 of these sticks (2 of the same product) and put em in my mobo and make them work in dual channel? with my current dual channel sticks?

Tjvelcro

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
The new sticks won't run as dual channel unless they are identical to the original sticks. If they are not, all of the sticks will run as single channel. Your best bet is to buy a 1gb kit(2x512mb) of the same make and model number as your existing memory sticks.

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well that was my first choise (to get the exact same stuff) but now the store that sold it to me for 135 is now 186! only 1 yr later. So basically in order to have dual channel running in all four memory slots I must have the same make and model?

Tjvelcro

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Yes, that is correct. Prices of RAM have rocketed in the last year due to the Vista-hype, if you want, wait another year and it might be below the 135 you paid, haha.

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So let me get this straight you can't use 2 different dual channel kits in the same PC? If so thats annoying :whistling:. It doesn't seen to make sense customers buy a dual channel kit when they buy/build the PC then if they want to upgrade, by adding another 2 sticks in dual channel they have to hunt down the exact same dual channel kit they purchased when they first built/bought thier PC. Anyway then on to my next question, do you think I should upgrade to 2 GB single channel (from 1GB dual channel)?

Tjvelcro

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
They don't have to be the same make and model, all four. But the two that are currently in dual channel have to be identical, and if you want to add TWO MORE in dual channel you also have to get identical sticks of them too!

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OH ok each pair has to be the same but each kit could be different! Then all I have to do is buy a kit or 2 of the same single sticks (which I would do since they are cheaper during this sale), so they can run in dual channel.

Tjvelcro

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
A kit is actually better, as you know then that the pair is matched. Buying two of the same and trying to dual channel doesn't often work.