Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I used to be on windows ME and decided to switch to windows XP. My computer wouldn't boot from the CD so I changed the bios settings to boot from CD. It boots from CD and installs windows xp. It says "Rebooting your computer in 10 seconds installation will continue after the restart" When the computer boots up it says press any key to boot from CD if I press a button the installation process just starts over again. If I leave it, it says error cannot load operating system.

There are loads of settings in my bios for boot options "HDD0" "HDD1" "HDD2" "HDD3" "HDD4" "USBHD" ECT. It's a mercury mother board it that helps.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot.

This is where you made a mistake. So now you have installed XP at least 4 times on your computer. Now you will have to go back and wipe all the XP installs off the drive leaving only the first install (HDD0) you have done. Here is a site to read up on what you are doing.

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

Once you get to where you can boot to a single install on HDD0, you can go into disk management and delete all the partitions on the drive and reboot the computer and then go back into disk management and partition the Unallocated space as a second DATA partition on the drive.

If you prefer to have one single large partition with windows on it you will have to start all over again and completely wipe all partitions off the computer , then start all over again with the XP cd. The caution here is you will need to prove to windows that you had a previous OS on the drive for XP to install if it is a upgrade CD. Not all recovery CD's have the OS on them to where the XP install can see that it is a previous OS.

SRX660

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I put my settings back to the fail safe default settings in BIOS. My setting is 1.Floppy 2.HDD-0 3.CD-ROM.

When the setting is left to that I get "disk read error" when I change the boot process to boot from the CD and then the Hard Drive I can use the Genuine Windows XP disk to format the drive and install a fresh windows.

I get "installation will continue after restart. Once other process’s are complete It takes 15 seconds to restart and the I get press and key to boot from CD.... 5 seconds later I get "disk read error". When I set my bios settings to boot from the Hard Drive and then CD-ROM I get "disk read error" any help?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you save the changes that you make in the BIOS before exiting (usually by pressing F10). save the changes (cd first, HD second) and exit BIOS. Enter the xp cd into the drive and reboot with the cd in place.