Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Winzip Program

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Please advise if Winzip is an integral part of Windows XP Professional with Office 2003. I tried to download Musette Musical Notation program only to find out that winzip is required, but it seemed to me that I used to have that progam. I do have winrar, but don't see winzip. Can winrar open said files?

Waynf

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Winzip is not a part of Windowx XP. WXP has its own compression utility called "Compressed Folders".

Winrar should be able to open that file. If you right click the .zip, do you get any kind of option to extract it using Winrar? You may need to change the file type association for .zip to use Winrar. Open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab, scroll down to ZIP. Which program is listed with it? To change it to Winrar, click the Change button. If Winrar is on the list, choose it. If not, click the Browse button, browse to Winrar's folder (probably in Program Files), then find the executable file.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I have followed instructions and the last file type on the scroll down list is "ZIP Winrar ZIP Archiver"

Waynf

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you getting an error?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
No Error yet I was waiting for further instructions after I have reached point of finding the ZIP Winar ZIP Archiver.

Wayne

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I apologize, I didn't quite understand your issue.

When you right click the ZIP file, do you have WinRAR on that menu? I use ZipGenius and on the right click menu, I've got Zip Genius with several options to Extract files, etc.

What happens when you double-click the ZIP file? Does WinRAR open and show you the contents? If so, there should be some options to extract the files.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Let me try again and clarify the issue here.

I donwloaded Musette Pogram and when I tried to open it I get a dialogue box which inclues the following:
I get a dialogue box Entitled: " Winzip Self-Extractor-MusSetup.exe"
Next line in dialgogue box says: "To unzip all files in MusSetup.exe to the specified folder press Unzip button

Then I have 6 choices: Browse, Unzip, Run Winzip, Close, About, Help.

Now I have notification from system that says. 'CAN'T RUN 16-BIT WINDOWS PROGRAM" The path C:\Docume~1\Wayne\LOCALS~\\Temp\Rar$EX04.891\_ISDEL.EXE is invalid

Plus: Notification box that says: "Setup is unable to find _SETUP.DLL which is needed to complete installation, Error 103

Wayne

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should choose Unzip and specify a folder like c:\Temp1, as there may be a problem with the very long path (:\Docume~1\Wayne\LOCALS~\\Temp). Then open the folder where you've unzipped the files and find the setup.exe (or similar) file to run the install.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you get this worked out?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Not yet but seriously condsidering downloading winzip, but other download probems have arisen see my other post for curiosity sake re "Weather Eye"

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
As an alternative to Winzip (which is not freeware), try Zip Genius (totally freeware). You can download it here.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Tried to unzip to folder C:\Temp 1. as per your earlier instrctions and after closing dialogue box, I tried to open setup program but it takes me back to "Unzip-Winzip-Close-Help" dialogue box again.

shooldn't winrar be able to open this file?

If all else fails I will consider downloading Zip Genius.

Waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Just tried downloading Zip Genius as per your link, but received notification that setfiles were corrupt and to get newer version.

Waynf

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, WinRAR should be able to open ZIP files.

However, it appears that the file you downloaded is a self-extracting file. I don't know why you're being prompted again to unzip a file that has already been unzipped into a temp folder.

In normal cases (and I just downloaded and installed Musette), when you double-click a self-extracting .exe file, it extracts all its files on its own and uses Windows XP Compressed Folders utility to do it. You will be given the opportunity to confirm the location where the files will be extracted. Once the files are extracted and if the install doesn't start on its own (which it didn't), browse to the folder and double-click the install file (setup.exe). I extracted the files to c:\tmp3. Then I browsed to that folder, found the setup.exe file, double-clicked it, and the installation started.

If you continue to have issues, try downloading the file again, but be sure to disable any antivirus software first.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You do not need a third-party zip program to extract/install Musette. It is a self-extracting file (see explanation in Post #14). Software creators/distributors package their installs this way so folks won't be required to have a third-party extraction program. Review and follow my comments in that post and you should be able to get the software installed.

I just downloaded Zip Genius 6 Standard from the RossoAlice mirror site. It downloaded and installed with no problems. I don't know what to tell you other than make sure you disable your Antivirus before downloading/installing anything and try a different download location/mirror.

Which antivirus software do you have installed? Do you keep it updated and have you run a scan lately?

What firewall do you use?

I've looked at a couple of your other recent posts and you're having issues with downloading and installing.