Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to: Password Protect a Folder

• Please log in to reply

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
How can I password protect one (1) folder on my Window XP operated computer?

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
If you have a log in password for your account, this can be used to protect folders from other users that have their own account on your machine. Your hard drive must be formatted using NTFS (which it probably is unless you're dual booting with another operating system).
  • Right-click the folder that you want to make private and choose "Properties" (or Alt+Double-click). Go to the "Sharing" tab and check the "Make this folder private" box.
  • Click Apply . If you do not have a password on your account, a box will pop up asking if you want to assign a password. This must be done if you want to make the folder private, so click Yes . You will need to use your password to log on to your computer from then on.
  • Type in a password then confirm it. Click the "Create Password" button then close the Password window.
  • Click OK in the Properties dialog box.
Now anyone else logged on to your computer can't access that file without knowing your password.

Edited by Dragon, 04 February 2007 - 06:25 PM.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Well on boot up I already have it so I have to enter a password to log on. But can I add a password to that specific folder anyway. Like if I forgot to log off when I left, and someone wanted to see this folder, can I prevent that with a password.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
yes, to open the file it will still need the password entered