Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corsair or kingston?

• Please log in to reply

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

i would like to know why gamers prefer Corsair memory. I know Kingston have a reputation of good products at low cost but is corsair really better and why? I just bought a pc mostly to play games and i would like to know what would be the best memory and video card for the price. I was planning to put a card i have already. It's not the best but i think it's good enough to play a lot of games. It's a gf 7200 gt oc. The cpu on this computer will be an intel dual core 2 e6600 and the motherboard an asus p5b 775 p965 pcie, 4ddr2 800.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi,

i would like to know why gamers prefer Corsair memory. I know Kingston have a reputation of good products at low cost but is corsair really better and why? I just bought a pc mostly to play games and i would like to know what would be the best memory and video card for the price. I was planning to put a card i have already. It's not the best but i think it's good enough to play a lot of games. It's a gf 7200 gt oc. The cpu on this computer will be an intel dual core 2 e6600 and the motherboard an asus p5b 775 p965 pcie, 4ddr2 800.

Both corsair and Kingston are fine memory brands. I do prefer Corsair over Kingston almost all the time. Kingston has a gamer line also called Kingston HyperX. Corsair overclocks better than the Kingston HyperX line also. Corsair and Kingston both have value lines and higher up lines of memory. Corsair offers really really insane memory sticks called the Dominator series while Kingston doesnt offer a line quite that high.

Id get what worked better for your MOBO. On the CONROE motherboards some of them are picky about what memory works well in it so make sure you get compatible ram that will work. Corsair and Kingston will work in about every CONROE mobo.

Edited by jrm20, 04 February 2007 - 07:34 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Kingston is good quality, I had it in a PC about 4 years ago now. I don't own any Kingston ram now, but I do know it's good. Corsair is definately the way to go, if you are not looking at overclocking - Corsairs Value range is incredible!

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok,

thank you for your answers, now keeping in mind the configuration i told you i would like to get a better graphic card than my geforce fx 6800 gt oc. Do you know if there are some deals around on cards, i really like the geforce cards cause i like the simplicity of installation and the drivers are always easy to find and install too. Do you think the 6800 gt is is good for the latest games? It's 256 mbs and pci-express. By the way i could get an ati if you can convince me it's easy to install and to find drivers. I bought an ati card years ago and returned it to the store cause i wasn't compatible and i didn't liked it.

Bye. :whistling:

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I favor NVIDIA too... no shame in that :whistling:. Anways, for the latest games, then you are going to want a DX10 card. You're choices there are limited and expensive. You can get a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 (GTX or GTS... both kill any other card)... or wait a few months for ATI's R600 which will not only kill the 8800 in performance, but also make the 8800 cheaper.

also, the FX series and 6 series are different, yet you say you have a FX 6800GT... typo there? please clarify. If it is a 6800GT, i would recommend waiting until March when DX10 cards will be cheaper and there will be more choices.

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

my mistake, it's a geforce 6800 gt overclocked. And i haven't tried it yet. I doN,t know if it's any good but i think i can wait before buying a new one.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
by 6600 holds its own against all but the newest games on medium settings, so i suspect yours should do a bit better.

and, as I said before, if you can suffer through a few months of "only" really good graphics, then you will be rewarded with the photo-realistic graphics of DX10.