Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

pixellated

pixellated

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ever since Service Packs 1 & 2 came out, I've wanted to download them,
but I read of a zillion instances where they messed up people's computers.
I still have not downloaded either Service Pack...can you reassure me
that the likelihood of having a major problem after D/L Service Pack 2
is minimal? Any tips to minimize any potential problems prior to the
D/L? :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
can't guarantee absolutely nothing to worry about as it's such a major update, almost like a "Windows XP Third Edition". However, I can tell you that I'm using it and it works fine. But since everyone's PC has different applications on it, and some of those apps may not like SP2, that's why a problem-free environment after installing it can't be guaranteed.

Many of those who ranted and raved that SP2 messed up their PC will have already had underlying problems before that, which either they weren't aware of or failed to put right first.

You can minimise the risk of installation problems by carrying out these tasks just before installing SP2:

1. Check C drive is free from viruses and other malware.
2. Run a disk-check on drive C to correct any file-system errors.
3. Defragment the C drive.
4. Disable antivirus while installing SP2.
5. Don't have any other applications open while installing SP2.

Edited by pip22, 05 February 2007 - 05:26 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You definitely need to make sure you have no malware on that computer prior to installing sp2. Doing so can cause a lot of problems. Having NO service packs is a very very risky thing. The sp's address a lot of problems with the original XP, and fix many security issues. You are WIDE open to all types of malware...viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc and so on.

In order for us to help you in our Malware forum, you HAVE to have at least sp1a. Otherwise, it's a waste of our time and yours, as you will get infected as fast as we can clean any problems.

We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time.
Click HERE for the update

Once you have done that:

I suggest you follow the directions found HERE and let one of our Malware Staff help make sure your computer is completely free of malware before you install any further service packs.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Thanks for your advice here, Kat. However, it seems a shame to have to install SP1a as a first step when SP2 includes all the SP1a updates. I avoided that by doing a full re-install, disconnecting from the internet then installing SP2 immediately from the free SP2 CD.

But if the OP doesn't have an SP2 CD and doesn't want to perform a full re-install of Windows, your advice is very sound indeed.

Pip

pixellated

pixellated

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't have a SP2 CD, and I don't have a Windows XP CD either, just
the recovery disk which is not the same as a retail copy of Windows XP.

So...the recommendation would be to D/L SP1 first and then SP2?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have Windows Update set to work? If not, you may run it and get all windows updates including SP2 and a lot of others.

What you read about the risk of sp2 installation is perfectly true. There is a good chance that you will end up with problems. My opinion is that if you don't have immediate problems you should not run the update. Everything that Kat wrote is true and your computer is quite exposed. However, had I been in your position I would rather leave the computer as it is and if the need arise in the future would clean format it and run the installation of updates immediately after the reinstallation of XP, before other applications are installed.

pixellated

pixellated

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No....I don't have Windows Update allowed; I didn't like the idea
of Microcrap downloading anything and everything though I knew
some of it was innocuous and helpful.

I do realize my computer is exposed. I do run various antispyware
and malware scans[also rootkit] frequently as well as using Zone Alarm and
AVG antivirus. I have had a few trojan infections over the past
five years but got rid of them with varying degrees of difficulty.

I do have quite a number of apps that I've accumulated over the
years, so what I perceive as a concern from you about that
concerns me as well. Could I do a clean format with just the
system restore disk that came with my computer? I didn't think you could.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know about formatting with your recovery disk since I don't know what make and model it is. I suggest that you look in the manufacturere's internet site or in your user manual and find out.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The question then is not if it will work but more what if it doesn't work.

Meaning:
- would you be in a position to reinstall windows and the programs you need together with any lost data, if you do then nothing is lost in the trying.

Edited by fleamailman, 06 February 2007 - 04:30 AM.