Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive, now saying its not been formatted

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, all of a sudden my pc booted up to the blue screen of death! i putin the XP cd to try and install a fres copy of windows on the drive, but it said that it wasnt formatted, and would i like to format it now, so i said no, not wanting to lose all my data. i found another HDD and formatted that and installed windows. ive now reconnected my original harddrive, 320GB. but in my computer its showing as dive E: and drive F:, there were never 2 partitions before, and it wont let me open either of them as it says "the disk in drive E: is not formatted, do you want to format it now.

i cant understand where all my data has gone, and like a dick, i hadnt made backups!!!! im kicking myself now, as i allways get at my girlfriend for not backin up her work. is there any way i can get my data back, becaus im pretty sure it hasnt been deleted.

many many thanks in advance, please save me from this nightmare!

Bob

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Make sure you have the jumper set to slave. Try running the hd manufacturers diagnostics program on the drive. Here is a link to most manufacturer's diagnostics: http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
See the sticky posts at the top of the forum. Also spinrite6 is a possible option. See http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, there are no jumpers on the drive, its a SATA drive, i dont know if any of these have jumpers, but this one dosent. ill have a go with those two suggestions and get back to you. im gonna be absolutely gutted if i cant get it all back, i had about 270GB of films games music, and more importantly my university work, most of which i hadnt handed in yet! like i said i feel like such a dick

many thanks

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, is there anything, like that spinright which i dont have to pay for? im in uni at the moment, and have absolutely no money. i dont mind paying for it in a couple of months its just that i need to get my work back ASAP. many thanks again