Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help to fix problems that Sandra Lite found

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2, EI7.

I just ran the Analysis & Device scan on Sandra Lite and it came up with a number of things I should fix. Some of them I was able to fix but I need some help with these others:

Computer Overview Analysing

1. Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory

Mainboard Analysing

2. Warning 2533 : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings

3. Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory

Mainboard Configuration

4. Notice 224 : System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate

Processors Analysing

5. Warning 2533 : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings.

Tip 210[/u] : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.

Notice 224[/u] : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

Buses and Devices Analysing

6. Warning 1206 : PCI Bus 0 (1/1x PCIClk) : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step) : PCI latency too high. Device could hog the bus for too long.

Tip 1202 : PCI Bus 0 (1/1x PCIClk) : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter : Device does not support bus mastering.

Power Management

7. Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate

Displays and Display Adapters Analysing

8. Tip 319 : Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver (display) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible

9. Tip 319 : Video Adapter : RADEON 8500 / RADEON 8500 LE (Microsoft Corporation) (\\.\DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible

Physical Disks Analysing

10. Warning 3100 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : S.M.A.R.T not enabled; consider enabling for safety.

11. Warning 3103 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : Acoustic Management enabled. Peformance may be impaired.

12. Warning 3104 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : Current mode not optimal. Check settings.

14. Warning 3100 : WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 (ATA) : S.M.A.R.T not enabled; consider enabling for safety.

Network Adapters Analysing

15 Warning 502 : Firewall Programs : Not all network adapters are firewalled! Check firewall settings (MY COMPUTER IS NOT NETWORKED)

Operating System Analysing

16.Warning 1316 : This copy of Windows contains Product Activation Technology.

17. Warning 1322 : Hardware DEP is not supported by your CPU. Software DEP in use. Consider upgrading for complete security.

Memory Usage Analysing

18. Tip 2004 : Page file is too large. The page file should be maximum 2.5 times system memory.

Processes Analysing

19. Tip 1601 : hpqimzone : Program consumes a large amount of memory. (MY PRINTER)

21. Tip 1601 : iexplore : Program consumes a large amount of memory

22. Warning : wmiprvse : Process no longer exists!

I went into Computer Management -> Devices and clicked to update the drivers for all devices/subdevices but they have the most up-to-date drivers.

If you could tell me where these settings are located for the problems that Sandra Lite found, how to get to them, and what settings they should be set to, I can pretty much get them fixed.

If I can fix just a few, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks . . . Denise

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
We use this board in a server at work so Sandra is just flagging up unnecessary alterations that aren't needed or aren't available anyway on this board.

Ignore all of the "notice" balloons.

Nos 1 and 3are not needed in a home environment.
Nos 2, 5 (the warning), 6 (first part), 11, 12, 16 and 17 can all be ignored as there's no options to change them.

Number 8s is potentially dangerous on older monitors which may not support the higher refresh rate. If you're using a flatscreen they work well on 60Hz anyway. If in doubt, leave it.

Number 15, a computer uses the network adaptor to get on the internet (broadband), it doesn't necessarily mean the computer is on a network.

Number 18 is a different kettle of fish depending on who you ask. Some take one view, others take another view. Therefore leave it.

Number 19 is part of the printer driver. It's for your printer/scanner. Number 21 is Internet Explorer, we've known this takes up lots of memory for years :whistling: Number 22 - it's the Computer Management window you had open before.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Neil, Thanks for responding.

The reason I ran the Sandra Lite scan is because of some problems that I'm having with my computer. It freezes at least once a day. I'm also having a lot of problems with JIT debugging. I constantly receive messages asking me if I want to debug. I click yes several times and then it tells me that I don't have permission to do it or that it can't be done. I have an LCD monitor. It's about 8 months old. When I watch videos or I scroll a lot, it blinks off every few minutes for about 5 seconds. I've run a lot of anti- programs but none of them came up with anything, so I thought some tweaks might help.

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 05 February 2007 - 05:56 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
JIT debugging can be turned off by going to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> check box in "Disable script debugging" -> Click OK.

As to the scrolling and blinking off, this may be a graphics card problem. Unfortunately there are no easy tests short of swapping it out, shoving a new one in and seeing if the problems continue.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I have Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) and Disable Script Debugging (Other) unchecked, so I just unchecked Display a Notification about every Script Error. Hopefully that'll help.

My graphics card is built into my motherboard so there's no way to swap it, but at least I know for sure it's the graphics card. I thought so when the problem started but everyone told me it was my monitor. When I bought the new LCD, it continued to blink on and off, but at least I got a new LCD monitor :whistling: I was just hoping that there'd be a setting I could try for acceleration or something.

Thanks for all your help . . . it's much appreciated.

Denise