Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best method of mass backup

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there,
once i get back up and running, (wether i recover my data or not) im going to make [bleep] sure i backup every 2 weeks. i want to make a backup of the whole system, this is about 300GB at the moment. and im wondering what is the best method to backup large stores of data, i lost all my music (90GB) all my films (100GB) all my software installations (90GB), backin these up to cd or dvd would be ridiculous, so i was wondering about tape drives possibly, i dont really know anything about backups, so could someone please suggest sa good media to back up to,

many thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a tape drive would be feasable but pretty expensive...you could get a LARGE (500 GB or so) external hard drive and use something like acronis true image to back the system up...instead of doing a data backup...true image actually makes a complete image of your drive (right down to the partition table)...in the event of a failure...you run the acronis bootdisk and restore the image...putting your drive back EXACTLY like it was before the failure...that way you don't have to reinstall all your software etc....

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
What is the diference between acronis true image and symantec ghost?