Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card problem?

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I have an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with 512 MB DDR 400 Mhz and a Geforce FX 5200 graphics card with 128 MB. OS: Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
My computer is giving me headaches for almost half a year now, the problem i'm having is that it reboots by itself. Some days it does not reboot at all but others it reboots three or four times a day. These happens no matter which program i'm using or if the computer is idle but i can't play games nor use programs like Google Earth because it reboots as soon as it opens.
At first i thought it could be due to a defective memory module, so i ran a test with memtest86 but i didn't get any errors after running it for an hour.
Then i thought on testing the video card, so i uninstalled the nvidia drivers and used my computer with the Windows XP compatible VGA driver, which i guess uses software rendering. This time i didn't get any reboots even with games and also Google Earth worked fine!.

So, the problem could be the graphics card or a combination of graphics card and memory module?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
To be honest, this sounds like a processor problem to me. It's giving typical symptoms of a hot processor. A good idea is to turn off the computer and disconnect all cables, hold the power button for around 10 seconds to clear the static. Depending on your CPU, look up how to remove your heatsink and remove it. Take yourself and the heatsink outside and blow all of the dust and crap that's inside it out. After, seat the heatsink and fan properly on the CPU (google for a manual if in doubt). Make sure the heatsink is secured and replug in all the cables, boot up and leave it on a soak test (leave it running to see if anything happens again).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problems with most Geforce FX5200 cards are caused because the fan on the card is clogged up with dust. Therefore it overheats and eventually dies.

The most probable cause is the drivers are fine, but the card isn't. The correct NVidia drivers are doing their job but because the card sounds like it might be faulty, it sends back the wrong information which confuses the drivers which upsets Windows because it then does something it shouldn't, therefore blue screen = automatic restart.

Best thing to do is borrow another AGP card from a friend or somewhere (preferably not a FX5200) and run with it for a few days. If the problems clear up, your FX5200 needs replacing, otherwise your board could need replacing.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
To SuperSam: motherboard's processor temperature is never greater than 65 ºC (149 ºF), so i'm not sure it's a processor problem (i hope its not), but i'll take your advice and clean up the heatsink.

To Neil Jones: I read somewhere that reboots could be due to and overheating video card processor. The problem is that there's no way i can check its temperature, also it didn't come with a fan (i bought it brand new in 2003).
I'll try to test my computer with another video card and if that's what causing all this then i was thinking on buying an ATI Radeon 9250. Do you know if its any less "trouble maker" than a gefoce fx5200?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, any error message in the evert viewer before it reboots, if you turned of automatic reboot would one get a BSOD message to pinpoint the problem?

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
This time i disabled automatic reboot after BSOD, and made a temperature recording with Asus Probe, then forced my computer to reboot, running Google Earth.
The event viewer (System registry file) didn't give any error messages only an information message named "Save Dump" which shows memory addresses when the halt ocurred.
Asus Probe did not record any temperature peak.
The BSOD message was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop: 0x100000d1 (0x64cd5753, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x64cd5753)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
http://msdn2.microso...y/ms795930.aspx

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

the google search I did had quite a few posts with nvidia driver being the culprit here, best contact there site then I guess

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
A few yours ago i got another reboot, this time i did not force it, it just happened while i was browsing some files.
I got a BSOD saying "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" referencing to the win32k.sys file.

Anyway, I'll try posting in the nvidia forum and then post back their response.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Well, i think i solve the problem. I didn't have to contact Nvidia i just updated my bios and since then i didn't have any more reboots. I even tryed running programs that made my computer crash and they work just fine!.
I still can't understand why the bios version was the problem, i mean i never updated the bios and also never added new hardware to my computer since i bought it. But i'm glad its working like it should now. :whistling: