Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plug and Play Error message at start up

• Please log in to reply

R Sherwood

R Sherwood

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI

I am using windows 98 and its an older machine, no USB ports. Anyhow..... i have been getting a black screen with white letters, saying plug and play ISA device error message and then the computer will do nothing,will not go any furthur, I have tried f1 and f2, enter, exc etc.... nothing.
I am almost positive it has something to do with the cd rom drive as when i plug it in there is nothing, the computer will not even start, when I unplug it I get this screen.

What is plug and play? keyboard, mouse, etc OR can it be removeable drives?
please help..... Thanks in advance!

R Sherwood

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi R Sherwood

For a much better definition of 'plug and play' than I could manage, please go here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Plug-and-play

Now, about that error message. An ISA device is one which is fitted in one of the ISA expansion slots inside the PC case. ISA slots are no longer in use on todays new computers, but from memory I recall they were used for things like older graphics cards, internal modems, and sound cards. They also provided a means of adding another controller/connector for a hard drive or cd-rom drive. So the error would be referring to any of those, depending on what exactly is inside the case.

The cd-rom drive could possibly be connected with the problem, but you don't say how it connects to the PC ("when I plug it in" ??). What sort of connection does it use?.

Edited by pip22, 06 February 2007 - 02:34 AM.