Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP home help!

• Please log in to reply

lancebass

lancebass

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, I have recently replaced my motherboard. Now when I try to boot up Windows XP home, the main Windows XP home screen comes on then the system immediatly restarts. I tried to use my recovery disks but they are hp model specific and it no longer recognizes my computer as the specific model (since there is a new motherboard that is aftermarket, not hp original). How can I get this computer to work again. I heard that I can do a repair if I get regular home disks. The problem is I dont know anyone that has these, seems home is hard to find. Is there any other way to recover this??? I can see the recovery partition of my HDD is still there. Can I do a repair from a copy of XP pro?? Is there any way to get a hold of xp home disks without having to purchase it?? I dont feel it is worth the money to purchase a whole new disks when my computer already has a registered version.
:whistling: :blink:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The last time i had a problem with a H-P computer and had to change the hardware i did have the same problem. I checked with H-P and for $45 they sent me a Win XP cd that let me install on the new hard drive since there was no hidden restores partition. I have later found that this CD will let me install it on any H-P computer that has a h-p motherboard. I still needed activation numbers from the original computer to get each computer activated with MS.

I think you will have to go thru H-p for help with this.

SRX660

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
H-P seems to be dragging their feet on this one. I contacted one person there. They said I should contact the people that sold me the mother board. The person basically said it is in their hands. I had already once purchased recovery disks from Hp but they seem to have been specific to the model number, as it wont work with this new mother board. I already spent the $50 or so to get these eight disks. It would be B.S. to have to give H-P any more of my money, you know what I mean?

Are there any other options??

Can I use a copy of XP Pro to repair my XP Home???

Edited by lancebass, 05 February 2007 - 05:13 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You could do a repair install from a XP home CD but a XP Pro cd is slightly different and may balk at doing a repair.

SRX660

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
So you would not recomend using a Pro cd? I have one. But I would not want to try it if it will mess up what is already on the disk.

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Can I repair just the boot sector of my xp home with a xp pro cd?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you can.

Place the Windows CD in your computer and boot from the CD. Once in the Microsoft Windows Setup screen to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

After getting to the Microsoft Windows recovery console you will need to select the Windows installation you wish to log onto. Therefore press 1 if you wish to edit the primary Windows installation.

After selecting the installation you will be prompted for the administrator password, enter the password exactly as you would in Windows. If you do not know the Windows administrator password you cannot enter the recovery mode.

Finally after you have entered the password you will be at a MS-DOS prompt similar to the MS-DOS shell window you can get through Windows. However, you will also have access to many additional commands not found in standard MS-DOS mode.

* Typing in help at the prompt will give a complete listing of all commands available through the prompt.

When the Recovery Console loads, you can use the FIXBOOT or the FIXMBR command.

SRX660

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks a bunch SRX660!

So this will work for a home edition using a pro cd?

Do you think this may allow my xp home to boot fully?

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
bump

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This would depend on what point the OS gets to and then restarts. Once the computer gets to the logon screen the computer is fully booted and only needs a click to finish starting. If you cannot use the ( hitting F8 repeatedly while the computer is starting) to get to a command prompt then windows is crashing before it fully loads. If it was possible to get to safe mode[color=#993399]you might be able to delete the drivers for the hardware( in device manager) and let windows find new drivers from the CD after you restarted it. Since you are using a Restore CD that possibly does not have the Operating System on the disk. If windows asks you for a XP cd to find the drivers you may not the correct drivers because there are none on the CD. Perhaps you can use the PRO cd but it may want a XP PRO "activation number set" to boot up which means you have installed Pro on the computer. I do not know if you do not want to have a PRO install on this computer because if the PRO-OS is installed on another computer, or you do not have the activation number set, it leaves you at the same place you are right now.

SRX660

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK I found a xp home disk. Did the system repair worked great!. Now it is asking me to register the product. When registering does it ask for a product key, or does it automatically detect this?? I am not sure where my key is, can I retrieve it from my computer since the system is now running?

This brings me to another question about this. Would it be best to register online, or call to talk to someone to explain I had to replace my motherboard? Is it possible that I try to register online then it leaves my operating system dismantled until I can call and explain??

Sorry for all the questions, but greatly appreciate all the help!!

Edited by lancebass, 06 February 2007 - 01:49 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
use this neat little program to retrieve your product key

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

use this neat little program to retrieve your product key

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

:whistling:

I will try that program tonight when I get home. Thanks.

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What are the chances this program will show my product key now that I have done a repair?

Hopefully pretty good since the OS retained my old program after the repair.

Edited by lancebass, 06 February 2007 - 02:50 PM.