Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which XP Flavor do I need?

• Please log in to reply

tomteriffic

tomteriffic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My existing main machine has XP Professional, SP2. This machine is used to connect to a server and network at my main office some 75 miles away. I use a little VPN applet to connect to the host IP address. From there, I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection to actually access the network. I connect to an internal IP address and the applet also shows that, in addition to a username and a password, I conect to the domain XYZABC (the name doesn't matter).

Now, I've been under the impression that I need XP Professional in order to join that domain, log into that network and do what I need to do. Some folks have told me that this isn't so, that any flavor of XP will work with something like Tight VNC and theWindows Remote Desktop Connection. I've had these so long (going back to a Win98 SE machine, I've no idea if the Remote Desktop Connection is even part of th OS.

The reason I ask this is I'd like to get an inexpensive replacement for my laptop machine, but finding one with XP Pro is a trick and generally is considerably spendier.

So, what's the real scoop here? The target network/domain is running on Win 2000.

Thanks for any help, I'll be glad to reciprocate if it's somethihng I know about.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Virtual Private Networking is supported in XP Home. Local Domain support isn't.

Technically VPN makes Windows believe a domain is local (despite the fact XP is dialling a number to get to it) which again means XP Home would be unable to connect to the domain. For this you'd need XP Pro.

Regarding Win98SE, there is no remove desktop or similiar, it has to be done third party style. Slightly older versions of PcAnywhere would achieve the same effect though.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Remote Desktop was not part of Windows 98. But since the client is downloadable and works on 95, 98, ME, and 2000, it makes me wonder if WXPP is required when connecting via VPN... Hhhmmm.

I have a Windows XP Home machine at the house and I'll test out your theory after work. I'll post back the results (in about 1.5 hours).

Here's a comparison guide between WXPH and WXPP: http://www.microsoft.../choosing2.mspx

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Arghhh.... I thought I had a WXPH computer here, but I don't.

However, if you are using Remote Desktop to take control of a computer at the office, then I think Windows XP Home Remote Desktop client will work.

Edited by LindaGail, 06 February 2007 - 05:52 PM.

tomteriffic

tomteriffic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. Maybe I can find somebody with a WXPH machine that will let me borrow it long enough to install these little helpers and try it.

Edited by tomteriffic, 06 February 2007 - 05:57 PM.