Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange "No Signal"

• Please log in to reply

nickichino

nickichino

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, prior to starting a new post I already did a forum search and read a lot of the results but non of it worked for me / wasn’t exactly quite like my problem.

I moved my perfectly working computer from my bedroom to my living room and after installing all the cables (power, monitor, key, mouse, etc) back as it should be, I powered on the computer. However, instead of hearing a beep sound (I don’t exactly remember this but I think there should be a beep) and the screen starting up, I got a black screen with a No Signal message. I tried rechecking all the connections again and again but nothing helped. I’ve had a similar problem with another computer before but somehow after leaving the computer there for about 1-2 months, I was able to turn it on and the normal screen came up as if nothing was wrong with it (weird!). Both computers are identically build can the problem come from faulty hardware? Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+
Mobo: ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 Geforce 6100
HD: Seagate 80Gb ATA
RAM: 512 Mb Corsair Value Pack
Monitor: 17” Philips LCD 170S6

* I later added a GeForce 6200 TC (PCI-E) card into each of the computers. The computer that I’m having the problem with now didn’t have any problem with the graphics card. However, the other computer had the “No Signal” monitor problem when I installed the graphics card. That time I tried removing the card and going back to the onboard graphics but the problem was still there until I left it sitting there for 1-2 months as mentioned before.

Sorry for the trouble and the long text. I hope you understand the situation. Thanks in advance for any help/advice on fixing the problem.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It could b that something got knocked when u moved the computor.
check that all the cards and cables r in place and firmly connected. (disconnet the power while pressinsg the cards.
If still nothing then take out all the cards and leave only the cpu ram and graphics card.
If u have an onboard graphics card try useing it.

Try one stage at a time.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-nickichino [Monitor no signal]-7th Feb-2007

Hi nickichino – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

I’ve had a similar problem with another computer before but somehow after leaving the computer there for about 1-2 months, I was able to turn it on and the normal screen came up as if nothing was wrong with it (weird!). Both computers are identically build can the problem come from faulty hardware? Here are the specs:

I see you are from Laos – How is the Weather?? -

What is your AC Voltage there?? – [230 VAC] - The AC Monitor Power Pack has an input Power Rating of – AC 100 – 240V / 50 –60 Hz – How do you have this power pack connected?? Are you using a Power Strip??

The Power Pack is actually An AC to DC Converter – with both AC Input Protection & DC Output Protection – So if the Input Power is higher than rated – It will just cut-off & remain Off until Power is corrected –

Did you move both computers from the – Same Outlet in Bedroom – to the – Same Outlet in Living Room ??- That seems to be the – Common Link – between the Problem – What about the time of year?? Was it in the same month?? – I am trying to link the – 1 to 2 months time – Perhaps the Living Room has a faulty Outlet?? – Is it the same Outlet?? - Are your Plugs Polarized?? – Maybe you need to switch the plug around if you can – The Input to the Power Pack is an – Auto Transformer – That has a common Input/Output Line – that should be connected to the AC Neutral Side – Perhaps the Living Room is incorrect??
Are you using a – Step Down Transformer?? – I think that there is an – Power Incompatibility – between the Monitor & the Outlet being used – The most obvious that I can see is a – Polarization Issue – Can you have someone check out the wiring?? -

Do you have the PC & Monitor connected to the same Outlet ??

The other thing to check is - Check your LCD Monitor – Power Input Cables – to your Power Pack & to the Monitor – It is – very easy – to disconnect this connection – especially at the Monitor - Verify this connection for me -

Be cautious

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 February 2007 - 06:15 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Jack123

The Power Pack is actually An AC to DC Converter – with both AC Input Protection & DC Output Protection – So if the Input Power is higher than rated – It will just cut-off & remain Off until Power is corrected –

Fron experience if you have 220/230V and you change it to 110V it will burn out. The security never worked in this situation.