Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected with MALWARE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

So firstly, what exactly is a P2P? And if i remove limewire, is there another "safer" program to download that kind of stuff?

P2P is a peer to peer file sharing program. Did you read up on the site I gave you? There is no "Safe" program as the files are coming from users all over the net. So each time you download a file from Limewire, you are taking a chance that it might be some sort of malware.

What does it say when you go to the site?

Did you have this problem before IE7 update? Have you tried firefox and see if its just an IE problem?

:whistling:

Excal

Advertisements

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I dont believe i had the problem before the IE7 Update. I haven't completely read up on firefox. Dont know if im so keen on changing the whole way of running stuff... Maybe i need a little persuasion.

It wont even let me load up sites such as hotmail. It just comes up sayin this page is not available.

Thx Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Firefox is safe, and you will find that most of the staff here on this site use it. Can you please load it up for me, check those site, then you can uninstall if you like. I want to confirm its an IE problem

Thanks,

Excal

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
K couple of questions about firefox first...

What are its advantages other than it being safer?
Is there any disadvantages abotu firefox?

Is it completely free?

Thx in advance for all your help Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
The only disadvantage I know of, is that you can't update windows through it. But you still will have IE because your not uninstalling it.

It is completely Free.

I am not here to sell you on something you don't want to use. I simply want to know if its IE thats blocking these sites, or something else. Poke around on the firefox site and check it out for your self.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Your Java needs updating also

Download the latest version of Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.

Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
Re-Start your Computer

Excal

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey excal, I downloaded the new version of Java, and am looking into gettin Firefox. Do you need a new log or anything else?

Thx for your help

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
K...decided to download fire fox, seems like a cool browser. I am able to get to all the sites i wasn't before.

Are there any add-ons you would recommend to make the browser even better?

Thanks for all your hard work Excal.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
As far as the addons go, its comes down to what you want or need. They have some awesome skins too. :blink:

If you want to try and uninstall IE7, then reinstall it. See if that will work as far as IE goes, but I see no other malware on your system.

your welcome, my pleasure :0

Excal

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
k...i downloaded FireFox, went to add/remove programs, removed Windows Internet Explorer 7.0, restarted my computer, yet i still have Internt Explorer, and it is not in the add/remove programs section so i am not sure how to delete it.

Could you please give me a hand excal, soz for the inconvenience

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
ok, your not deleting IE, you were just uninstalling IE7, you still have IE6. Try those sites now and see if they work.

Excal

Advertisements

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Nope...had the problems before i downloaded 7. Thought it might help. I just wanna completely get rid of it.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

I just wanna completely get rid of it.

of what?

Excal

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Of Internet Explorer?

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
You can't get rid of it completely, and like I said in a previous post, you need it for windows update if you happen to even need to manually update windows :blink:

Excal

Pin-Cushion

Pin-Cushion

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright Excal, I have no further questions, So thanks alot for all of your help.

** One more thing, I have problems with my Latency being so high, what exactly is latency, and how can i get it lower? **

Thanks again,

Pin-Cushion