Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

confused about how to build my computer

• Please log in to reply

terrific

terrific

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi frens,

I am going to buy a new PC. At present I have a BENQ LCD TFT monitor and i have to buy the CPU.
I am doing my masters at present.

My main requirement is browsing internet (at about 3mbps speed)

So for these what shuld be my CPU specifications:

Like processor type and speed

Hard disk capacity

RAM

As far as my knowledge I think P4 2.8Ghz ,512 MB RAM, 80 GB hard disk are sufficient. But some of my frens are saying that for browsing we dont need that much processor speed and a 2 Ghz processor will be sufficient.

frens plz help me take a decission

thanx a lot

bye

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hi frens,

I am going to buy a new PC. At present I have a BENQ LCD TFT monitor and i have to buy the CPU.
I am doing my masters at present.

My main requirement is browsing internet (at about 3mbps speed)

So for these what shuld be my CPU specifications:

Like processor type and speed

Hard disk capacity

RAM

As far as my knowledge I think P4 2.8Ghz ,512 MB RAM, 80 GB hard disk are sufficient. But some of my frens are saying that for browsing we dont need that much processor speed and a 2 Ghz processor will be sufficient.

frens plz help me take a decission

thanx a lot

bye

If all you are going to be doing is web surfing either of those will be fine. A P4 2.8 is so cheap now there is no use getting a 2.0ghz P4 that is outdated by alot.

You could go AMD aswell as they have good prices. Since you didnt specify any gaming you dont need a very latest Intel conroe CPU as they can be expensive. If you want to do light gaming the P4 would still be fine but if you are wanting to stay in the Pentium 4 era you might as well get an AMD as Amd's are faster than the Pentium 4's in that era and cheaper generally. You dont need a very large harddrive or small one Id say to get a 200 - 250gb harddrive though because at that size you get the most gb per dollar and you actually get more of your moneys worth because lets say an 80GB harddrive, it would only be like $20 cheaper see what im getting at? YOu pay $20 more and you get more than double almost tripple the ammount of space.

The amd AM2 processors are so cheap now you should probably get one of those in a single core. Dont think you need a dual core at all. You said basically surfing web only.

512mb ram would be plenty for an internet pc but 1gb would do better in performance reasons running applications and such. :whistling:

Edited by jrm20, 05 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

terrific

terrific

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey jrm thanx for the informative reply . I wuld read ur reply in detail and then try to shoot some more questions.

plzz guys some more views are invited

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
You could also get a motherboard with onboard video if you're just surfing the web. They usually come with a pci-express slot so you could upgrade to a seperate graphics card if you wanted.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I wouldnt hesitate from looking at an entry level Dell- they are great for people who dont want to mess with the building of a machine and just want something that could come with some support and their models are starting at such low prices and if your just looking to surf the web, then its almost a steal price for you! :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Heck, if you're only surfing the web, pick up a $200 eMachines. Nothing wrong with a low end computer for basic tasks.

terrific

terrific

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
kurenai and soxrok thanx for ur replies. I am looking to buy a cpu from ebay. But the problem is more offers are available with p4 but speeds in the range of 1.8 to 2.4 Ghz . can I buy these as i said previously my main requiremnt is browsing.

thanxx a lot.

Bye

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Be very careful buying computers or parts from ebay. Always check their feedback and pay attention to why there might be negative feedback. I personally dont buy computer parts from there unless they are new. The first mobo i ever bought was from ebay and it was a dud.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Honestly, for the price of ebay, you can get the same thing from dell, except dont have to worry about fee's and you get a warrenty behind it! With some of their machines, you could even pick up a snazzy Flat Panel Monitor :whistling:

terrific

terrific

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok but My doubt is does a CPU with P4 processor but with speed only 1.8 Ghz can be used for browsing high speed internet (DSL).

If not what is the minimum speed of the processor that allows using high speed internet.

Plz reply.

thankx for ur patience.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I could hook up my toaster to high speed internet, given a network card and sufficient motivation.

If you are only worried about surfing the internet, pretty much anything on the market (anything with a P4 or equivalent at this point) will do the job just fine. Web browsers are almost nonexistant when it comes to system and resource stress. Higher end machines are only really necesary when it comes to things like watching HD video content, gaming, running many comercial applications at once, etc. The reason that companies push higher and higher spec machines on consumers is that they know people will buy them, whether they need it or not.