Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How's this for a snake!

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Photos of a snake caught on an electric fence on a sheep & cattle station near the NSW town of Nyngan....

Some tourists on holidays came across the snake caught in an electric fence, being continually shocked, and getting very angry!
The group wondering what to do, decide to divert the current, cut the wire AND let the snake go! (As you should do).
When the property owner found out he went ballistic, besides being upset about his fence, the snake had been eating lambs in the area, and he'd been trying to track it for ages.
He did not appreciate the help! Australians are used to a big snake or two, but wait till you see this old fella!

He looks like he's just had a feast of little lamb!

[attachment=12943:attachment]

[attachment=12944:attachment]

Advertisements

Sp3ke

Sp3ke

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Wow! That's huge!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Wow - look at the fangs on that thing! frantique, do you know what kind of snake that is?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

frantique, do you know what kind of snake that is?

best guess by size and location that it would be a reticulated python...can't be an "annaconda" as they aren't in australia...reticulated pythons I THINK are the second largest snake after the annaconda....it's deffinitely in the python family...and obviously a constrictor and it's got the recurved teeth for shoving food down it's gullet

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i retract my previous assessment http://www.bushveld....ures-python.htm african rock python

this is a reticulated http://homepage.mac....python03tfk.jpg scale pattern is wrong

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You're a herpetologist too? Wow, a monkey of many skills :whistling:

Thanks, dsenette!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
great...the word herpatologist...and ScHwErV is reading this thread...

*dsenette waits for it

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
According to Frantique's story, the snake was released and got away, but according to the link dsenette posted, the snake was skinned.

Something doesn't add up here.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
none of the images look photoshopped...though...i don't see a single shadow in any of them

also in the image where the snake is biting the wire...look at the teeth on the right side of the mouth...i don't THINK that it's that easy to break snake teeth....most of the pythons i've been around...would have a tooth come all the way out instead of fracture in the middle...though it's not impossible that a tooth would break on wire like that...but at the angle shown...it sort of looks like someone hosed a "magic lasso"...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.snopes.co.../fencesnake.asp good ole snopes!

the silent valley ranch is the page i linked to

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
So based on that Snopes link, it's a true story but actually took place in South Africa, not in Australia. Quite an impressive picture, nonetheless.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...seems that the snake was killed by the fence...so...no rescue attempts or mad farmers..but..still....big ole' snake

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Crikey, you guys are unreal! I just got the story in an email from a friend in London and cut and pasted. Didn't think to check the source! Guess I don't have to really .... not with ace investigators on the job like the monkey and domestic godess - ha, ha :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Just did a bit of research and checked out "Aussie Pythons and Snakes" forum where the email and pics were discussed extensively and they all agreed it is not an Australian snake and as dsenette advised is an African Rock Python. Apparently it had eaten an impala. Good research dsenette.
Here's a link to the story with another pic of the snake skinned http://www.bushveld....res-python.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if there's one thing that i know...it's that me and sari can research..