Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Defect?

• Please log in to reply

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
my gfīs brother is computer technician and says he "thinks" my CPU might be going bad. are there any programs i can dl to check this out?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CPUs (as in the processor) don't "go bad". They either work or they don't.

The motherboard, on the other hand, can "go bad" in certain areas, yet appear to work fine in others. Depending on where the fault has occurred on these, even throwing every testing utility at it doesn't always show up the fault.

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok so what can i do? itīs only a cheap AMD but i canīt afford another one right now

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CPUs just die, there and then. They don't slow down, wear out or spend all day thinking about something - they just stop working.

What you can do though is replace the main board and reuse your processor, memory and everything else inside the case. This will require a Windows repair though, one can't just swap the board and expect it to work.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Actually, CPUs can and do go bad slowly. It's happened to me, and remains fact. Try a program like prime95, just let it run. It tends to stress nothing in the system beyond CPU, and if it crashes your system, chances are your CPU has issues.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Yes, as Kurenai has said CPUs do go bad, a lot of overclockers also use prime95 to check if thier processor is stable at thier overclocked speed.

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i tried prime95 but couldnīt get the tester to work. just never started

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If Prime immediately stalls out, your CPU core is probably quickly dying, although I quickly get out of my league when it comes down to exactly what is going wrong. In my opinion, time to look into replacing the processor.

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i didnīt mean that my pc died. i mean i canīt get the prog. to run gonna try later to reinstalll and see if it works then