Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i Delete these Files Safely

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
I have found some Files in my Documents which are Not in a Folder and wish to know if it is safe to Delete them or Not this a list of the Files i would Appreciate Some Advice. Thank you

Volumec 1
VolumeE Text Document 3KB
Spider sav file 1KB
Msinfo32 Text Document 2,972kb

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Did some research :

In case volumec is an exe file read this

Msinfo32.txt is information about your system
Spider sav file is a file which contains all data about the last time you played that game

VolumeE no clou.

Please upload the files at Jotti or Virustotal and post back the result

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi fozziebear
Thank you for your quick reply the file that concerns me the most is Msinfo32.txt as for the other Files could they be left over from a defrag scan or are they more sinister than that i tried to up load the file to the jotti to scan but it didn't work and said this is due to the Firewall so do i have to turn my Firewall off and is this Safe to do while on the Internet. Thank you

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Cheyenne.

It looks like the msinfo32.txt file is generally created by running msinfo32.exe for diagnostic purposes. If you can recall doing that, then probably it's okay to delete it.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi LindaGail
Hey Thank you for your reply I did run a diagnostic a short time ago so i will just delete this msinfo32.exe file now do you think that i am right about the other Files and if so i can delete them also. Thank you so much for answering so Quick i Appreciate your Help. Thanks again

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Not the msinfo32.exe file - I'm talking about the msinfo32.txt file.

What's the full name of the volumec 1 file?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi LindaGail
The name of the file is volumeC 1 and the other one is volumeE written as showen so can i just Delete them are the left over from a Defrag Scan i would Appreciate any Advice Thank you

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
But what are the extensions or file types of those two files? When you browse the C:\ drive, you should see a column that says "Type". Alternatively, you can open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types". I can't comment on those files without additional information.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi LindaGail
OK i have done what you said and this is the results it is a Text Document and you can open this with Notepad does this mean that i can Delete these without any Problems i Also noticed that while in the C Drive there are some of these Text Files in there as well is this common for some files to sit outside the Folders in C Drive and my Documents and such. Thank you again

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The .txt files are probably okay to delete. I think they are just log files that have been generated at some point, like the msinfo32.txt file. You might want to move them to the recycle bin, reboot a time or two just to be sure the system doesn't look for them for some reason, them permenantly delete them if everything's good.

And yes, there are some files that reside on the root of C:\, including .sys files, .ini files, and other system files, that you absolutely do not want to mess with. You may not see those if you have view options set to hide system files.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi LindaGail
Thanks very much for your Help i'll try that and get back to you if i have any Problems i Appreciate your Time. Thank you