Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NDa00504

• Please log in to reply

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
NDa00504 has been showing up in my root directory since Nov. 2005. AVG7.5 takes almost 10 minutes (I've timed it) to cycle thru it checking for viruses. None have shown so far, so I've left the sucker on the PC for fear of removing something "vital."

Anyone happen to know what this file is? I don't remember downloading it, and I don't know how it got there.

Spyware checkers (AdAware, AVG Spyware7.5, Spysweeper) don't flag it, either.

It has a "System" icon, you know, a 2D box that looks like there's a little cassette tape in it. Whenever I've tried to right click and explore it, I get a pop-up dialog box asking me which program do I want to use to open it (well ... DUH!)

Any constructive comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
When you right-click the file, do you get the menu that has Properties in it? It might tell you something, but I doubt it. I googled for NDa00504 and found nothing. Maybe someone will know if we can't figure this out.

Ron

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Never heard that one before. You can run the Dependency Walker 2.2 tool to see where and if it has any hooks in your system. If you cannot delete it you can use Unlocker to delete it to the recycle bin and leave it there until you are sure you don't need it for any program.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

SRX660