Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp startup menu

• Please log in to reply

van105

van105

• Pip
  • 7 posts
How do I add or delete a program from the startup menu that is loaded each time windows starts up?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try the reverse of this:

In the Start Menu folder, find the shortcut to the program you want to start each time you start Windows, and drag it to the Startup folder located in the Programs folder.

Deleting the program from the Start menu should work, but you could drag the Icon out of the Start menu to another place under Programs. May require a reboot to check it no longer starts.

Ron

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest a start-up control program like free WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ Also offers additional functionality. It doesn't have to start with Windows either. (Unless you want it) Many (most?) will suggest using msconfig to control start-up. Usually works fine, sometimes can cause problems. Since it (msconfig) is sort of the master control panel for Windows, I prefer to leave it alone for this.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
(this is the actual place you can remove the icons major payne mentioned)

the runcommand for it then,
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
( the runbox window appears)
- paste this in slot: %userprofile%\start menu\programs
- press: enter

though I am not sure if this other folder would not be better if there are multiple accounts
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
( the runbox window appears)
- paste this in slot: %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs
- press: enter

I think the first one is safer but I don't know if it makes difference, please advise

Edited by fleamailman, 07 February 2007 - 04:24 AM.