Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After install and updates, what's next

• Please log in to reply

windr

windr

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
just finished a fresh install of xp and uploaded all of the latest updates...

in terms of protection, what should be the next series of steps...

thanks in advance...

windr

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
install and update your antivirus program
check to make sure that your firewall is enabled

be sure that all drivers are up to date

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
[quote name='rushin1nd' date='Feb 6
check to make sure that your firewall is enabled
[/quote]

how do you enable firewall...

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Control Panel>Security Center. I suggest a personal firewall like Zone Alarm, Sygate, or Comodo. All effective at controlling in and outbound activity. (Windows is "in" only.)

Layers of protection are best: A good router between the cable modem and your machine. A personal firewall. Full-time anti-malware client for prevention. Full-time anti-virus as well. Many also add HIPS clients like Cyberhawk and Defense Wall. A more secure browser like Opera or Firefox. I also use the MVP Hosts file to keep me from inadvertantly surfing to dangerous sites. By layering your protection, and scanning with three or four different anti-malware agents periodically you should be able to work and play on your computer with no problems.