Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BT's Speedtester

• Please log in to reply

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Does anyone know how to get past the www.speedtester.bt.com to actually escalate a broadband problem in the UK.

The helpdesk staff will not pass you through to a test desk for an engineer to actually look at a problem.

I am pretty sure a download speed of up to 8 MB should be more than 192 KB with the upload speed fairly good at 392 KB.

I have pinged the BT site and do not get any response, and on other Forums complaints that Speedtester.bt.com are rife.

The PC in question runs XP Home through a Netgear router with ethernet connection and did a one time run at 1.2 MB - I asked the Sales at BT for an 8MB upgrade and they told me I was already connected since last June.
Here's hoping that someone knows a way to go.

Thanks for reading this problem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Something definitely wrong if your upload speed is higher than your download, the download speed should always be the higher of the two.

If you were actaully on an 8Mbit connection, you should have a download speed of around 1Mbyte/sec from a powerful server such as those on Microsoft websites. As it is, your 192 kbytes/sec equates to a bandwidth around the 1.5Mbit mark.

Essentially the bandwidth that BT can give you depends on how far you are from the nearest digital exchange and the condition of the line between you and that exchange. Bt states that if your line cannot support the spped you ask for, it will give you the fastest speed that is technically possible, but if you are actaully paying more money for 8Mbit compared to those on slower connections, I would ring BT Braodband and speak to someone rather than rely on a website.

Paying for 8Mbit and expecting that's all there is to it is often not the case (for the technical reasons with your line quality and the distance involved). If you pay the same fixed price as everyone else regardless of bandwidth, it's just tough luck on where you live. But,as I say, If your are paying extra for it then you should ring them. Don't feel too hard done by. I'm only getting 512kbit bandwidth. That's all I can have in my village, where the phone lines are 50 years old, and the cable companies won't have anything to do with us.

Another (independant) website where you can run a speedtest is here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/
Click "speed test" on the left side.
It requires you have java runtime installed, from here:
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 04:43 AM.

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello Pip22 - Thanks for coming back.

The distance to the main exchange is under 3 miles radially so shouldn't be a problem.

Neighbours do not have a problem, I am sure it is my line connection.
Have already used the links you recommended - thanks anyway.

Have you ever tried to ring BT with a broadband problem - they insist you use the web site speedtester.bt.com three times, but the site is unable to be reached!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wont even ping!
At present I am at a loss for the sake of a phone number to actually speak to someone.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
have you tried ringing the BT Broadband helpline on 0845 600 7030 ?

I soon learned it's no go good ringing the normal BT line-fault reporting number (0800 800 150/151) if you're reporting a broadband problem. that's only for if your phone doesn't work. The phone and internet services operate as separate businesses, each with their own procedures and engineers.

based on my own experience, you should ideally have your router/modem plugged directly into the BT master-socket, not via an extension, as that only adds to the overall line-length from your exchange to your router. That's critical if you're already near the maximum distance. Plus, extensions may be poor quality or damaged (esp if under a carpet) and that would further reduce your broadband speed.

I'm on the 'borderline' distance-wise. Only recently got it sorted. had to have BT out to move the master-socket into my PC den (bedroom), and even then had to strip out all extensions going to all other rooms. I then bought a 3-handset cordless phone, with master phone in my computer den, one handset in the living-room and one in a bedroom, neither of which needs a bt socket since they are cordless.

I haven't finished yet -- speed was ok but kept losing connection. The problem? -- the useless, free router they sent me just packed up went it got too hot after 30 minutes. It's a design fault -- they're too small and build up too much heat. It was pointless asking them to replace it as they'd only send me the same type with same fault. So I bought my own router -- a bigger one which hardly gets warm and it's never off.

Eventually, I'm happy, thanks mainly to my own efforts, not BT.

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 08:34 AM.

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Your number 0845 600 70 30 are the staff who insisted I used the www.speedtester.bt.com site that would not even reply to a ping to see if it was even working. This is the problem.

This line is on an MLJ two feet from the Netgear Router with no internal wiring, it is a U/G feed from the DP and comes four feet up the wall and into the house straight into a Main Line Jack.

I need a contact higher up the BT chain of command.