Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bypassing Vista Content Protection

• Please log in to reply

PeterA.

PeterA.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently upgraded (if you can call it that) to Vista. Whenever I I try to stream online content through Windows Media Center the sound cuts out and then I have to reboot in order to get any sound on my laptop to work. Outside of Media Center I have no problem with streaming media. I can even open the exact same videos or audio outside Media Center and they work just fine. Once I try in the Media Center the sound cuts out after a second or so. I did some investigating online and found out that due to Microsoft's attempt to control content protection, when attempting to stream online content, it disables any sound card that doesn't provide content protection. For example, any sound card that has S/PDIF like mine (onboard SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio card) will be disabled by Vista when it tries to stream content, because S/PDIF does not have content protection. For some reason Vista only monitors that action inside Media Center. All streaming works fine outside, including streaming content in Windows Media Player. The simple answer is just don't stream content in Media Center but since I already paid for the product I think I'd like to be able to fully use it. Is there a patch, crack or work around to bypass the DRM and other content protection? Please let me know.

Edited by PeterA., 06 February 2007 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

PeterA.

PeterA.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh and by the way, HP (my laptop's maker) does not provide Vista ready SoundMax driver files so please don't suggest that as an answer.

Edited by PeterA., 06 February 2007 - 05:03 PM.