Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should i get another graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi here are my system specs:

cpu:AMD Athlon 64 3500+
memory: GEIL 512mb
graphics card:Leadtek PX6600 GT EXTREME
mobo:DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
HDD:250GB Barracuda

I was wandering is it worth buying another Leadtek PX6600 GT EXTREME and run them in sli,or just save up and get a better graphics card?

The games i want to run are Battlefield 2 and cs:source on high!
I am going to get more RAM probably upgrade to 2Gig.

Also one last question can i upgrade to the new 64Bit Vista?

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Two 6600s will give you about the same performance as one 6800 GT or a 6800 Ultra. Upgrade to a 7900 GS, or wait until the 8800s come down in price.

To answer your other question, sure, you could upgrade to Vista. There's very little hardware support, and rampant software issues at the moment.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for that i will probably wait till the 8800's go down!hey could you please recommend a good socket 939 to upgrade to?My comp. is strictly gaming rig!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Two 6600s will give you about the same performance as one 6800 GT or a 6800 Ultra. Upgrade to a 7900 GS, or wait until the 8800s come down in price.

To answer your other question, sure, you could upgrade to Vista. There's very little hardware support, and rampant software issues at the moment.

Kurenai is right.

More to add is that you will need more than 512MB of system ram to run battlefield 2 on high settings without it being choppy. 1gb is the least you should have for BF2 on High settings but 1.5GB of ram is what I recommend for a smooth gameplay. 2gb would be great aswell but remember 1.5gb is the recommended.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Whats a good cpu i should upgrade to, i wana be able to run windows vista comfortably?could please recommend a cheap and a expensive one!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I'm gussing your 3500+ is Socket 939. Maybe a Dual Core 3800+ would be good, which is rather cheap, or you could look at the FX Range, or even a 4800+ X2. Your 3500+ will run Vista with ease though.

A 7600GT is an EXCELLENT cheap card. Cost me £100 - runs CSS on full detail with absolutely no lag, the same for 2142 and BF2. I haven't tried many others though.

2GB will be absolutely plenty. I'd say 1GB would suffice, but if you want more then go ahead!

As for your last question - yes, your current processor can run Windows Vista x64 :whistling:

Edited by SuperSam, 07 February 2007 - 05:13 PM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks alot for all your help!!

ive decided to save the money on a new processor and prob buy a Geforce 8800!

Thanks again!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks alot for all your help!!

ive decided to save the money on a new processor and prob buy a Geforce 8800!

Thanks again!!

That would be a good choice aswell but just to inform you ati's R600 and newer video cards will be coming out by 2 months they say and the R600 ati video cards will beat the nvidia 8800gtx and when the ati R600's come out the prices will drop for the nvidia's 8800's.. Id hold out for a couple months or until the release of the ati's new card lineup.

Another thing you need to slap atleast a 1gb stick of ram in that pc so it will be at 1.5gb of ram then.. :whistling:

*EDIT* almost forgot to mention another thing. For these newer video cards the nvidia 8800's you need a powerful good quality power supply with good 12 volt rails with 18-20 amps on atleast one of the 12 volt rails recommended.

So make sure you have a good quality power supply and let us know what make/model yours is. You need atleast a 500w quality psu to be on the safe side for an 8800 video card.. 580W would be great if you could get that and is recommended or Somewhere close to 580watts.

Edited by jrm20, 07 February 2007 - 06:09 PM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok ill wait then till the price comes down, yea probably upgrade to 2 gigs of ram!

Thanks Alot!

I have one question..say if i want to upgrade my harddrive from a 80gig to a 250 gig and after i reinstall window xp what are the main drivers i need to install?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok ill wait then till the price comes down, yea probably upgrade to 2 gigs of ram!

Thanks Alot!

I have one question..say if i want to upgrade my harddrive from a 80gig to a 250 gig and after i reinstall window xp what are the main drivers i need to install?

What is your current harddrive using? Sata or is it IDE?

I have never had to use any drivers to install a harddrive onto a system that I have built. The only time you need to use the included floppy driver which is included with your motherboard would be if you were wanting to install RAID, which you will not be doing.

There are no drivers needed, only reformatting the harddrive then format the second harddrive then install the operating system onto one of the drives..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks Alot!

What is your current harddrive using? Sata or is it IDE?

I have never had to use any drivers to install a harddrive onto a system that I have built. The only time you need to use the included floppy driver which is included with your motherboard would be if you were wanting to install RAID, which you will not be doing.

There are no drivers needed, only reformatting the harddrive then format the second harddrive then install the operating system onto one of the drives..

Let me rephrase this, you wont need any drivers except the motherboard drivers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you use a SATA drive if you don't load the drivers for the SATA controller before you install XP then the XP installer doesnt see the drive and wont install in Vista the SATA drivers are preinstalled but XP came out long before SATA and doesn't have the drivers for the install.

For a CPU 939s are getting harder to source but you can get OEMs pretty cheap and a bit more easily 4200+ to 4600+ is all you can really find and the ones with the 1mb l2 are still expensive but the 512k ones are cheap as chips.

If you are into gaming then wait for a couple months till you get Vista its not as bad as Kurenai says but its still missing openGL support and nvidia drivers suck for it.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for all that, will i need to reinstall my graphics card drivers??

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

If you use a SATA drive if you don't load the drivers for the SATA controller before you install XP then the XP installer doesnt see the drive and wont install in Vista the SATA drivers are preinstalled but XP came out long before SATA and doesn't have the drivers for the install.

For a CPU 939s are getting harder to source but you can get OEMs pretty cheap and a bit more easily 4200+ to 4600+ is all you can really find and the ones with the 1mb l2 are still expensive but the 512k ones are cheap as chips.

If you are into gaming then wait for a couple months till you get Vista its not as bad as Kurenai says but its still missing openGL support and nvidia drivers suck for it.

To be perfectly honest I personally have never had to install the drivers off of the floppy disk. I do know that alot of people do have problems and they have to use the floppy disk to install the sata controller. The motherboard CD in some cases has the sata controller. Alot of times the people forget to change the setting in the bios to the "PROPER SETTING" in order to see the sata drive.

All of the times I build a pc I have to go into the bios and change the sata settings properly and sometimes yes it does take some time but like I said I have never had to use a floppy disk for the sata controller. Call me retarded or not its the truth. Just saying it can work without the sata conroller drivers on the floppy but it takes a higher level of knowledge and takes more time. Yes the floppy driver way would be alot easier I know but I have did it my way always.

Warriorscott is right though use the floppy disk to install the controller I guess im retarded to do it the really hard way.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for all that, will i need to reinstall my graphics card drivers??

Of course you will have to if you wipe your harddrive clean. You will loose everything if you reformat.

Above I was talking about just Installing windows and getting it to run.