Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Random Restarts and Failed CRC Checks

• Please log in to reply

Psycho Pigeon

Psycho Pigeon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having a problem with my pc for a few months now.

First problem is it will randomly restart at any time maybe 3 times a day. I've checked my cpu and video card tempreture and it's at normal. I've formatted my pc many times yet this problem still happens. I don't hear any loud noises such as a fan or a PSU struggling to cope.

The second problem is my pc, for some reason, has decided it will not open big compressed files such as .cab's and rar files without giving me an error saying " Failed CRC check ". I've done some looking up and it looks like failed CRC is something to do with memory. This really annoys me because it won't let me install games or download demos without giving me this error, although, if I restart my pc a few times it will let me install a game off the disk.

My specs are:

AMD 3500+
Radeon x850xt 256mb
3GB corsair value ram
120GB HD
600 watt PSU

Any help is appreciated.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Psycho Pigeon [Random Restarts] 6th Feb-2007

Hi – Psycho Pigeon – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

Ok – Maybe this is all related to – Memory – You have –3GB corsair value ram – How old is PC –Was this memory from the beginning or did you upgrade to this amount –

Over clocking could also be adding to some of the instability - 600 watt PSU should be adequate - ??

First I would reduce/back off the amount of over clocking, and secondly – I would – reseat the Memory Cards – by removing & reinstalling them – Also check that they all have same frequency – Then next I would Remove the Video Card & reseat it also – Check the Fan on this card also – Usually it is good practice to leave the 1st Expansion slot nearest the Video Card empty – to let the Fan breathe –

You might want to check for the latest Driver for Video Card –

Maybe, you have already done all this – It certainly is not something you want to do every week – but if you have not – Then I suggest trying –

Jack123 -