Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
When I try to click on any item in the menu bar of my MS Word (installed with MS Office 2003 teacher and student edition) I get the message that "MS Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close." Then it gives me the option of having Word recover my work and restart MS Word , or not. It just started yesterdaywithout my having changed/done anyhing to my computer since my last successful use of Word. I tried system restore, with no effect; I uninstalled all of Office 2003, and reinstalled it, but still get the same thing. I've tried to find some help at the Microsoft support site, but gave up. There is a piece there about a problem with the normal.doc template or setting, but that doesn't apply/help. When I view the "Error Report Contents", with the information that my problem process that would be reported to Microsoft in and error report. it begins with "Exception Information Code 0xc 0000006 flags 0x000000000 Record 0x0000000000000000 Address 0x0000000030cc08ac In the sections that follow it says further "Module 2 ntdll.dll..."with additional information following, and "Module 3 kernel32.dll..." with further info. "Module 4 advapi32.dll..." etc. and many many other such "Module" entries, most of which have .dll references, but also a couple .drv references.
A complete system scan with an up-to-date version of Norton Anti-Virus finds no infections of any sort on my system.
I have tried to repair the installation Office 2003 through the Control Panel/Add Remove/Modify programs... but get an error message there too: "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close...etc." the Error Signature for this gives "EvenType: InPageError P1:c000009c P2:000003, with the files to be included in the error report being C:\Docume~1\Krette~1.Dan\locals~1\temp\WER7e01.dir\rundll32.exe.mdmp and appcompat.txt
Any ideas? Thanks! Dan

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Before reinstalling or repairing Word, you should run System File Checker (all fo the .dll files are Windows files). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Once you've run SFC, reboot and try the repair again.

Edited by LindaGail, 07 February 2007 - 10:39 AM.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Linda -
Thanks for your reply and recommendation. I do have the XP disc that came with my machine, and I followed the procedure you gave, rebooted and retried the repair. However, when I tried to run the Office Repair (going through the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs/Change or Modify Program/Repair) I got the same message as before: "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry..."
Also, Word itself still freezes when I click on any item in the menu bar.
Any other ideas?
Thanks again.
Dan

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try logging into Windows with a different user account. If you don't have another account, you can add one by going to Control Panel, User Accounts. Be sure to put the new user in the Administrator security group. Reboot the computer and log in with the new account. Try to uninstall Word, reboot, reinstall Word. Did that fix it?

If so, I can provide instructions for copying all the settings and documents from your old user to the new user.

If not, please check the Event Viewer for Warnings or Errors that correspond to the error you get trying to install or repair Word. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the error. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

Do you have antivirus and/or antispyware software installed, updated, and do you scan regularly?

Can you determine a date that this problem started? What might have happened with your system around then?

Do you have a backup of your data?

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I am the sole user of this computer, and the only other user account is a Guest account. How do I assure it is in the Administrator Security Group?
I do have antivirus and antispyware installed, updated, and run regularly. Norton Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spybot, and AdAware. I have updated and run them all since this problem began, and none of them indicate any infections or problems. I also had running AVG before the problem began, but have since used only the Norton product continuously.
I don't recall anything that happened at the time the problem started, which was last Monday evening.
I've also found the same problem with Excel, which I tried using just today. I could copy the cells of a sheet, then paste them into a notepad document to assure I had the info., but can't do anything else without it shutting down, as Word has been doing.
Yes, I have backed up what I need.
Thanks again for your assistance.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Right after naming the new account, you'll be given the choice of "Computer Administrator" or "Limited" account type. Be sure to choose Computer Administrator.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Dear Genius Linda-
It worked! I created a new user account, uninstalled all of Office 2003, reinstalled it, and voila!
I see there is a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in the menu bar...
But I also noted you said you could provide instructions for copying all from old to new, so I'll await your word before fiddling further.
And... is there a 15 word of less explanation of what happened and how the new user fixed it?
Thanks again so much for your help, and I'll not just "consider" a PayPal donation for your help...
Dan K.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Another question... should I delete the previous user account?
Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm glad it worked. The best explanation I can give you is, sometimes the Windows User Profile gets corrupt and it can mess with everything else. Other than that, I can't tell much.

Here are the instructions to make the new user look just like the old user (same desktop and my documents):
Reboot the computer. Log in with the new user account.
Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab.
Click the Settings button in the User Profiles section.
Select the user account that was corrupted.
Click the Copy To button.
Click the Browse button and then browse to Documents and Settings, and select the new account.

If you do this part wrong and copy the profile from the new account to the old account, you will delete everything out of the My Documents folder for the old account.

Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express? The instructions are different for each.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Wait until you're sure you've got all the settings and files moved over to the new account. Also wait to get your email configured and back to normal. But once you're certain you're back, you can delete the old account.

Advertisements

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
And yet another question...
I got all the way to copy to the new user's documents and settings, but then got FAILED TO SET SECURITY ON THE DESTINATION PROFILE. - ERROR ACCESS DENIED.
:whistling:
And I don't use Outlook.
Thanks yet again...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
This was the step in post #9? Did you reboot before trying to copy the profile? If not, reboot and try again.

That sounds like a security rights issue. Did you put the your new user in the Computer Administrator group? Try taking ownership of the older user profile folder under Docs and Settings with your new user. Here are two articles that explain disabling Simple File Sharing and changing folder permissions - Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home.

If taking ownership doesn't help and as long as the bad profile isn't the default Administrator user, boot into Safe Mode, log in as Administrator, and try the profile copy again.

What do you use for email? Is it something you'll need help with?

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Back again...
I tried the different things you said, read the article and did what it directed, but am still getting the access denied message.
I use Juno for my email, and I already seem to have that back/still as it was.
Since I have all my documents backed up on an external hard drive, and my settings and such are not all that extensive or elaborate, and I don't mind "rebuilding" shortcuts and such... might I simply delete the old user, copy my files from back up, and be done with it all (at least for now!)?
Thanks again.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, that will work. I hate that we couldn't get the process to work like it's supposed to.

While logged in as your new user, if you browse to c:\documents and settings\oldusername, can you open any of the folders? Do you get a security warning?

What about when you reboot into Safe Mode and browse to that folder?

If you can open it, look at Microsoft article 811151 for instructions for manually copying profile settings. This will at least put your Start menu and desktop back to right.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Linda - I think we've got it. When I deleted the old user I was given the opportunity to transfer/save all my old user's files to a desktop folder, which I did, so there they are without my having to go to the external back up, and I got the desktop and favorites etc. stuff transferred according to the spiffy MS article you referenced, and all seems in good order... for now! And while I know what you mean about "getting/making it do what it's supposed to and how it's supposed to... I'll be content with the working outcome! Thanks so much again!