Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop power connection problem, please help.

• Please log in to reply

chrissyca

chrissyca

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba Satelite laptop with a power supply problem. It won't charge the battery or even turn on now because the battery is so run down. The charging light comes on if I hold the cord in a certain way, but any little movement and the light goes out. I thought it might be the cord so I bought a new one, but it still is doing the same thing. I am guessing that its the connection in the computer where the power supply cord plugs in. Can anyone offer some info or suggestions? Also, if I need to replace a part, could you please tell me how to remove the bottom of the computer or whatever I need to remove to get at the part. I have removed a ton of screws and I still can't get the bottom open.
Thanks,
Chrissy

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think most of the staff here would recommend you you let a laptop repair service look at it. You may do more harm than good, costing you even more money -- if not recking it altogether. I've been inside my desktop PC scores of times, I've been upgrading PC innards for 12 years, but even I wouldn't take my laptop apart, except as a learning tool if it was scrap. Call me 'chicken', but a laptop with fragile miniature components which can't simply be replaced with a new part from your local PC shop demands a different approach when it develops a fault.

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 10:04 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
total agreement with pin22,
a little test though, sometimes the laptop gets confussed looking the way you tell us, so take out the battery, plug up to the wall, turn on the computer, does the system load up, if it does the battery needs replacing, and often the battery will work again after a while which is when you can return it to the computer, repeat, remove battery, plug in to the wall, turn on laptop, then hours laters place battery back and charge it, reboot computer again.

Also, talk of parts, that harddrive should be quite easy to get to, and if you feel that this computer has broken beyond repair, then to extract the harddrive form the computer placing it into an external harddrive caddie gives you something very much like a USB key but holding many GBites.

hope this helps

Edited by fleamailman, 07 February 2007 - 01:51 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Take it from someone who works on laptops ( toshibas mostly ) you really should take it somewhere that works on laptops. Now I can't say for sure but many toshibas have an internal cable for power that might be bad.. otherwise it might be soldered on the motherboard.... Some places might be set up to repair/replace that but not all...( we aren't... we do mostly warranty work which means we just replace the motherboard ). It could also have a seperate power board that might be replaceable.... if it amounts to replacing the motherboard though.... talking probably in the neighborhood of $300+