Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning DVD issues

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello,

I am having problems getting DVD projects to burn successfully. The DVD's partially burn, but then finish with errors. In addition, I have opened older files that previously burned successfully and they burn with errors. I have done about 70 DVD projects over the past 15 months with Roxio, but have had to re-burn about 20% of them due to burning errors until these latest problems affect every one. I use read-only discs, using Memorex, SONY and imation.

I have Easy Media Creator 7.5 which worked just fine before Windows upgraded to IE7. So I reverted back to IE6, but still had problems, so I updated the firmware for my Memorex DVD writer and added a patch from Roxio. Then it worked just fine for another month. Now I get errors when burning a DVD project. I copied the error message to Roxio and they said there was a new patch. I downloaded that patch and tried the DVD again. Same problem - partial burning, but no success.

Tonight I downloaded ULead trial version, made a DVD and got "no burn to DVD". Then after reading a number of posts here, decided to try and download NERO 7 Ultra trial version. I got error messages from their web-sites saying the pages were unavailable, so that does not inspire much confidence for their products. So rather than beat my head against the keyboard any more, I am asking for help.

Where do I look in my computer to try and resolve the burning error?
What is a good, mid-level, moderately priced, STABLE software for building and burning DVD's. I've had it with Roxio as their products have been notoriously unstable for me.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The trial version watermarks the output so use re-writeable discs if possible, this is just to see if any error free burning is possible

http://www.vso-softw...nvert_x_to_dvd/

You should get Nero here, though I get better results with 7.2.7.0

http://www.filehippo...nero_7_premium/

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks Keith, I will try that tonight.

I have tried Media Creator 7.5 DVD CReator, My DVD 8 (Sonic) and the trial version of ULEad. All have burning issues, so I am wondering how to look into whether it is computer or burner related and not Application errors? Also, after posting the message last night, I thought I would try to use Window Movie Maker. I got an error message for application termination as soon as I tried to add the first clip into the Collections space. Being too tired, I did not check the details of the error, but will do so tonight.

Do you think there are conflicts witht eh versions of the different proframs I have loaded? I have both Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 and Sonic My DVD8 on the C drive, I keep all my video clips (downloaded from the camera) on either the internal second HDD or the external HDD. Would it help to have the program on the same drive as the video?

Another odd glitch with EMC is that when I first started having video issues a few weeks ago, I lost the ability in DVD Creator to start a new project. The project creator would open, but there were no windows to add the video clips into. If I opened a previous, successful project and replaced the old video with new clips, I could use the program and it would burn OK most of the time. Now it won't burn a complete project.

Thanks for the help!