Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WAN/Remote Network Access for dummies

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hey everyone,

I have a small network set up at home, it aint much just 3 computers connected to a small router and a broadband cable modem (not ADSL), nothing wireless i went with cat5 cables,

anyway, the network is mostly being used for my dads business, its got all our files and accounting stuff on it. my sisters, who both have homes of their own, and my dads business partner need access to the network but they cant come here everytime they need to do something, i wanted to ask if there was a simple way to just leave one computer on all day and allow them to access that computer (and through that computer the rest of the computers/printers on the network) via the internet? ill also be moving out soon, and since i do most of the work itll be important for me to set this up before i leave,

anyone know of a cheap and relatively simple way this can be achieved?

cheers,
ben

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
An ftp server would do it, if it's low security information, and your ISP will let you. Before going down that road, though, I'd like to see what other ideas people have.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
what would setting up an ftp server require? is it relatively easy to do or is it fairly time consuming?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a theoretically more secure option you could check out gotomypc or pcanywhere....any of those services....they have software that allows you to connect to the pc from anywhere on the planet...which would also give them access to any software installed on the pc (maybe quickbooks?)...not just the files.....if they're just interested in the files...then a secure FTP server would do the trick

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
well i dont have quiock books but i do need to use myob, i thought of pcanywhere but last time i used it it was pretty slow... also doesnt it require someone else to allow me to sign into the pc? and if i was using a pc does that mean no one else would be able to use it?

and can someone post on how i can make an ftp server? im sure if i had that i could easily install myob on my laptop, sign into my dads computer, copy the main myob files that contain all the company info, make a few invoices for him and then copy the file back into his computer, it may be tedious but it will atleast work,

myob is the only software ill ever really need, the rest of what we need to access is just files and documents, so i could set that up, though id still prefer having some kind of remote network access,,,,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

also doesnt it require someone else to allow me to sign into the pc? and if i was using a pc does that mean no one else would be able to use it?

i think that depends on configuration...to my knowledge it can be set up to automatically accept

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
are there any more ideas? and can i get some more info on ftp servers, ive googled it but have found nothing usefull.... i really need to set this up asap

thanks,
ben

ftballtw

ftballtw

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am not sure you will have it there, but here we have "ClearWire" here in Florida and they are many other places as well. That boils down to about $30 per month using their modem. You can then access anywhere with no cable.