Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloaded IE7, and now ALL my internet times out

• Please log in to reply

TheTinyOne

TheTinyOne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Normally, I'm a Firefox user, and it has made me very happy. Just the other day, however, I got this bright idea that I was going to use two different internet browsers so I could be on two different forum accounts at the same time, without having to login/out all the time.

So, I downloaded everything and restarted my computer. Before the 'upgrade', pages loaded in Firefox almost instantly. Now, I have to try five, six, seven times (usually more) before I can load a page. Sometimes it refuses to load at all. Most of the time it just tells me that my connection "timed out" while waiting for a specific website. The new IE doesn't seem to work, period.

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, as my room mate also started having slow down problems with her internet after downloading this, as well as my parents (Who live 300 miles away).

What do you reccomend I do?

Advertisements

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello TheTinyOne, I would recommend just totally uninstalling IE7. I work at Bellsouth Tech Support and we have always had issue's with customer's calling in with IE7 and now they cannot get online. What we tell them is to uninstall IE7 and try to reinstall it if you like. If you still cannot surf after you reinstall it just do a system restore back to a date earlier than the day you installed IE7. Hopefully this helps....Write back with details...

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
While Internet Explorer has never been a great browser, internet speeds, and such can vary. Depending on the time of the day, if there are a lot of online users, some pages will be slower then others, and can time out. If the website you are visiting is heavily visited, you could easily get a time out. In any event, I would suggest just uninstalling Internet Explorer 7, rebooting, and then download the application again from Microsoft's website, (Microsoft). Then re-install the application. Internet Explorer isn't a great browser by any means, so I suggest using Mozilla Firefox, if you don't have it, then definitely download it (Mozilla Firefox). It's by far the best browser I have used, and its rated one of the best and safest browsers available. Once you're done with all this, please post back confirming your results, because in fact we do like to know, :whistling:

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 07 February 2007 - 10:26 AM.

TheTinyOne

TheTinyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, I've uninstalled the IE7, and so far everything seems to be working just fine.

However, when I tried to do a system restore to a point before I downloaded the upgrade, it didn't work. My computer listed about four checkpoints that I could use, and none of them worked for me(This was probably about an hour after I posted the origional message, and I haven't tried again since).

Should I be worried about that?

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
As long as your computer is running fine. No, then don't worry about a System Restore. Just re-install Internet Explorer 7, as some websites require Internet Explorer, such as online virus scanners. Post back with your results after doing so.

TheTinyOne

TheTinyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a regular IE browser that I use once in a blue moon. Is that enough to get around the IE required sites, or do I have to have IE7?

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
It really depends on what website(s) you visit, and if they need a newer type of browser, such as Internet Explorer 7. So you mind as well go ahead and get Internet Explorer 7, to save you future trouble, from needing to get it in the future.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 08 February 2007 - 08:07 AM.

TheTinyOne

TheTinyOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
If I do download it again, what do you recommend I to do avoid having the same problems? I'm a college student, and its getting to be the time of year when all the professors start handing out exams and papers on a weekly basis. I can't afford to NOT have internet.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Well did you do anything to start the problem? If not, then continue doing everyday tasks. The Internet problems are usually the Internet itself causing problems, or a browser. So there really isn't much you can do, all you can do is just hope the Internet doesn't go down on your end, etc. If it does call your ISP. If its a browser issue, and an error comes up, "Google" it. If you cannot find the solution there, come back to us, Geeks To Go.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 08 February 2007 - 10:50 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
During installation, let it change your home page, then it should go to IE7 options, then change it back