Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't boot after first restart - crcdisk.sys

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I did a clean install of Windows Vista yesterday, but when I restarted for the first time, it wouldn't load.

After the green loading indicator comes on near the bottom of the screen, it just goes black and stays like that (I left it for 30 mins). The same thing happens with last known good config, and in safe mode, it stops at crcdisk.sys.

I can't even boot from the DVD and "repair" because that stops with the mouse pointer on the green/blue background and nothing else happens.

How do I get back in!

Thank you

Advertisements

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
A few questions to help me clarify on the exact problem.

You mentioned that you performed a clean installation, did you click the option to format the drive before installing Vista?

Where are you installing Vista into? IDE Hard Dive, SATA? As a heads up, if you are trying to boot from USB HD or install to a USB HD, it currently won't work with Vista.

Edited by LDG, 08 February 2007 - 11:13 AM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I installed it to a SATA hard disk. Yes I formatted it first. Anyway, I had to resort to backing up, formatting and installing it for the second time in 2 days - that was a good start!
It appears to be working for the time being.

Thanks

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ah, good to hear! I was hearing several people who installed it on a SATA HD was having problems, but their error was that they didn't do a clean "formatting" installation and old software was conflicting with Vista which is why I asked. Well, I'm glad it's working :-)