Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media center edition tweaking.

• Please log in to reply

Gunz

Gunz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have had this laptop for about 2 months now and i enjoy it. it is faster in the aspect of CPU and graphics than my desktop. But it runs games and such skippy unlike the other system.

I have the following.

AMD Turion 64 mobile technology mk32 2.0 ghz 512kb L2 Cache

ATI radeon Xpress 1100

100 gb hd

512mb ddr ram upgradeable to 4 gigs

Also my system hard drive is in 2 partitions, C and D. I do not know why acer did this but they did. It is also in FAT32 format...i thought that was weird and i would like to convert it to ntfs without reloading my operating system or losing any of my stuff if its possible.

When i check my precesses running i have almost 50 running!! i dont want this and i would love to know how to fix this as i don't want to press ctrt alt delete every time i restart to end all this stuff.. What are the ones i need running or the ones beneficial and how do i disable the others from coming on again? I have done a lot of google searches but i find ways and things but then i check another one and its something completely different. i know i can trust you guys so i thought i would as here. My issue is i want to free up ram and keep my computer running fast and only what it needs to run.

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Hello, welcome Gunz to Geeks To Go. I would like you to visit this link: The Malware Removal Section. That will take you to the Malware Removal section (obviously). You mentioned you have a lot of processes running. A lot of processes can mean you have Malware, (Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Rootkits, etc.) Once you visit the link I provided you with above, I want you to go to the top and read the pinned documents, before posting there. The reason I am sending you there is because having a lot of processes (too many processes) can be a sign of malware. The Malware staff can help you remove any, and all Malware that may be living within your computer. Then from there if you want advice on actually tweaking your computer, such as RAM, Video Cards, etc, you can then come back here if you feel like doing so, :whistling:

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 07 February 2007 - 09:50 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Gunz...

To answer your questions, the "D" partition you see and which is most likely formatted as FAT32 is probably the recovery partition that Acer installs on it's machines. If you use the recovery cd(s) to reinstall Windows, this partition will be recreated.

For the startup programs, you should be able to set whether the program starts with Windows or not, by right clicking on the icon in the system tray and choosing "Options" or "Preferences". For those without this option, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, you'll see a list of what's starting with Windows...using the file name of the program that's starting, type it in the search box HERE and it will give you the information on the file and whether it can be safely stopped. If you find one you want to stop, remove the tick from the box next to it in msconfig and "Apply" the changes. When you restart the machine, you will see a Selective Startup dialog...this is normal...tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

wannabe1