Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Issue - Restore Disks Gone Wild. Aha.

• Please log in to reply

Envi

Envi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry about the title, I can only make jokes about it now as I'm frustrated to no end.

In short, I used an old restore disk that downgraded my computer and messed up the sound.

In long, I recieved a new computer a couple of months ago and it came with a Recovery disk, well my cable modem was flashing it's PC light at me, so I decided to restore the system to see if that would fix any of it. Well, when I put the new restore disk in, something went wrong and my computer would not boot up. It kept me on a black screen that kept TRYING to boot up the computer, but never did.

So, in frustration I put in my old restore disks from my previous computer, this fixed the issue of getting on the computer, but through this I downgraded my computer and messed up the sound. (Everytime I try to mess with the volume a pop-up tells me that I have no active mixer devices) I've tried using the new recovery disks time after time with no change.

System: Windows XP Home Edition - Model W3502
Recent Disk: System Recovery CD/DVD
Previous computer disk: Restore CD ver. 1.1 Models W2646

--I've spoken to 3 different technicians from eMachines and they havn't been able to provide me with ANY help at all.

I'd like to bring my computer back up to speed (upgrade it back to where it was when it was bought), and fix the sound.

Can anyone give me any help or tell me that I screwed myself over so I can have some clarification.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
assuming you've got Windows XP on your new PC (regardless of which recovery discs you used), you'll find the sound driver for the emachines w3502 here;
http://www.emachines...amp;model=W3502

click the 'plus' sign against "downloads".

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 01:01 PM.

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the link, but unless I was supposed to do something special with the download (ie place it somewhere after it was downloaded) It didn't work.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geekstogo
little request
press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
( the runbox window appears)
- paste this in slot: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
(device manager window appears)
- see if the sound icon there has a yellow blob on it

also, in installing new drivers the process is
- right hand click icon in device manager
- choose: uninstall
- top of window choose action
- choose: search for new material
- browse to newly installed driver folder if prompted
- press: enter

hope this helps

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
There are no blobs on the sound choices, there are on "Other Devices" Also there is no option to uninstall my driver as you pointed out.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
yes, you are right sorry. open up sound icon there and choose the "update driver" option for each one, one of them should work

Edited by fleamailman, 07 February 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Envi

Envi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Icon? I don't have a sound icon. >.<

With the update the only way to try adn get to sound is through the control panel, but when I try to pull it up, a pop-up comes up talking about no Active mixer devices.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
in the device manager, have you an icon called "sound, video and game controllers" is what I was meaning