Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

old hdd in a new puter

• Please log in to reply

rastlin01

rastlin01

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone
I'm getting a refurbished puter tomorrow, my question is can i take my 80gig out of my old puter and plug it right into the new one?? (celeron to a P4) or do i have to wipe it and start it from scratch??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends on the chipset. It would need a Windows Repair running on it (from your XP CD), but that should be all.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you planning to use the 80 G drive as a "D" storage drive? If you do this you can delete most of what is on the drive to save space and leave only wht data you want. I do this all the time when i am disassembling computers for parts. I will delete the windows folder first as it is unused if the drive is just a data storage drive.

One thing you need to check is that the jumper in the back of the drive is set to CS(cable select) of S(slave) and you are installing the drive to the middle connector on the computer data cable. Do not have it set as M(master) as it may cause windows to think you want a dual boot system.

SRX660