Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Breaking News...

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Just got a news alert email from CNN:

-- NASA is revising its psychological screening of astronauts after one of them, Lisa Nowak, was charged with attempted murder.

Duh! I would hope so. That's breaking news?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'd go crazy too if I was sent into space myself... I fail to see the "news" there though, I agree. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I saw that when I was at the gym. Didn't get the breaking news part either.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sad to say, it is a commentary on our every day life. So sorry to see she resorted to such extreme measures. All of us are exposed to emotions, everyday, methinks she let them get the best of her.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well she must have something wrong in the head to get caught for a start arent NASA guys supposed to be the best of the best, surely she could manage to try and kill someone without getting caught so easily. Sometimes people just crack it happens even more when there is a relationship involved its just a fact of life no one is infallible not even naval officers(especially not naval officers)

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I don't see the news either. It's not like we need a play-by-play on her life with a report. I understand people crack, but Astronauts, I think Astronauts should be checked monthly for mental issues, just because they get sent to space, and no one can really control what happens up in space.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 08 February 2007 - 08:14 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont really subscribe to the large bias put towards mental health in the US sure its important but i think as much of the problem is caused by having questions of mental health constantly fired at you, the person in this question is a highly driven individual, a soldier and someone who wont accept failure her actions are as much a product of the society that produced her than a failure to check for mental health problems. Also i dont think its really a mental health problem to want to kill someone we are after all a largely predatory species to eliminate a rival for a mate is nothing new in nature and doesn't denote that she or anyone else is nuts she was just pushed to far which is something people that she worked with should have picked up not her head doctor.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
She isn't no where near like a soldier. She's just a very intelligent, fit Astronaut.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

She isn't no where near like a soldier. She's just a very intelligent, fit Astronaut.

She is not a soldier, no - she's not in the army. However, she did graduate from the Naval Academy, and then went into military aviation. She attended the Electronic Warfare School in Florida, she has postgraduate degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering, she attended the US Naval Test Pilot school and flew as a test pilot. I would argue that she has a high level of military training. I don't understand why you continue to make statements that show your lack of knowledge about a subject.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Ok, so obviously I didn't know that, but I mean with all that training, she could of at least not got caught. By the way that was the only statement I didn't read fully about. I understand I showed ignorance about this subject, but it was a mistake, I didn't fully think it out through. Anyway, I take what I said back about not being a soldier, because like I said I didn't know, but all the extremely high training as gone to waste. To get into the U.S Naval Academy in Maryland is amazing, its a very rigorous selection. So yea, anyway excuse me if I showed ignorance, I apologize for it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Definition of a soldier = A soldier is a person who has enlisted with, or has been conscripted into, the armed forces of a country.

You don't need to be in the army to be a soldier and you don't need to carry a rifle, anyone with military training is a soldier, military aviators are soldiers trained in combat like everyone in the military, the US military has some funny ways of doing things but i find it hard to believe that everyone doesn't start by getting full combat and survival training and go on to receive further combat training in there selected fields, that is what constitutes a soldier not being in the army. By your logic marines arent soldiers, people with commando training(available to all forces, or ranger training in the US) aren't soldiers.

If you want to be a soldier like you do then you need to know allot more about it than you do.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Also i dont think its really a mental health problem to want to kill someone

erm WRONG. Seriously. No normal, completely sane and balanced person just goes out and tries to kill people. There are mental issues here, for sure.

which is something people that she worked with should have picked up not her head doctor.

head doctor!? :whistling: Don't make light of mental diseases. They are very real, and very frightening for the people who battle them daily.