Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new motherboard usb 2.0 is not working as a high speed usb

• Please log in to reply

lancebass

lancebass

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just bought this motherboard: http://www.geeks.com...4M80-M4&cat=MBB

When I plug in a USB device (wireless receiver) I get a message saying somthing to the affect of..... you have plugged in a high speed usb device to get the best performance you need a high speed USB controller.... or something like that.

I installed the USB 2.0 driver from the cd that came with the mother board but it is still acting like a usb 1.0. I am plugging a wireless g receiver into it that usually runs at 54 Mbs, but it is only operating at 11 Mbs with the moterboard as is.

Is this a comon problem with a easy fix??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
check in your bios settings for something regarding USB2...sometimes there is a setting there to enable usb2 support

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks. I will try to look at that when I get home, are there any other suggestions?

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
That was not available in the BIOS. Now what??

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok when I plug the device in first it gives me the "this devise can perform faster" bubble at the bototm of the scren. When I click on it it gives me a message that I need to add a high-speed usb controller.

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
anybody?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Have you insalled he USB drivers.
Right click my computer. Select Properties, click on the Hardware tab, select Device Manager. If there are an yellow marks next to "Universal Serial Bus" then you have not installed (or have not installed correcly) the drivers.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
There’s a USB controller driver at the web site, might be more updated than the one on the disk

Biostar P4M80-M4 VIA P4M800 Socket 478 mATX MB w/Video, Snd

USB 2.0 Controller Driver dated 2006-12-03

http://www.biostar.c...m...80-M4&os=XP

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Have you insalled he USB drivers.
Right click my computer. Select Properties, click on the Hardware tab, select Device Manager. If there are an yellow marks next to "Universal Serial Bus" then you have not installed (or have not installed correcly) the drivers.

Yes I have installed the drivers, and there are no yellow marks by them. In fact I tried to right click on them and update the drivers from the cd and it says the drivers I have are better (or more current) than the ones on the cd. :blink:

If they are better why arent they working..... :whistling:

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

There’s a USB controller driver at the web site, might be more updated than the one on the disk

Biostar P4M80-M4 VIA P4M800 Socket 478 mATX MB w/Video, Snd

USB 2.0 Controller Driver dated 2006-12-03

http://www.biostar.c...m...80-M4&os=XP

I did try this and it also changed nothing. :blink:

Maybe if I uninstall all of my drivers then run this program?? :whistling:

I already tried uninstalling the drivers before but then I restarted the computer and it reinstalled the wrong drivers. If I can uninstall the drivers and install the drivers from the internet site before I restart, would that do it????

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK I noticed somthing else. In my Device manager under USB controllers I do NOT have the enhanced controller listed. How do I get the enhanced controller????

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Where can I get a "standard enhanced pci to usb host controller"???

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well Sarahhw was the closest.

There was a yellow mark, but it was no where near the USB stuff. It was way in the top of my device manager list under other devices. I right clicked did a driver repair and whala......my enhance controller apeared with all of the other USB drivers.

Thought I would update this to provide someone else with the info in case it ever happenes to them.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have had this problem before, it requires an enabling of high speed usb settings in bios. What make of motherboard and what bios, so i can walk you through this process

lancebass

lancebass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I have had this problem before, it requires an enabling of high speed usb settings in bios. What make of motherboard and what bios, so i can walk you through this process

I appreciate the help dan but I got the problem fixed as the post right above yours described what I had to do to fix the problem.

Thank you anyway. :whistling: