Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Problem

• Please log in to reply

jabba21

jabba21

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Recently I have been having a problem getting power to my computer. Sometimes, when it is a stormy night, I will unplug my computer before I go to bed just to be safe. The last few times I have did this, the next day I go to plug it back in and it won't get power. It does nothing when I press the power button. After awhile of unplugging and plugging it back in, then it will finally get power and turn on. It has never did anything like this until just a few weeks ago. I have already put a new wall outlet in, tryed another wall outlet, and tested the power strip I have it plugged into but those aren't the cause. The last thing I can think it would be is the computers power supply, but would it still work like it is now if it was bad?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

This is strange, my guess would be there is something in the psu that don't like the power being disconnected maybe from unpluging all those times. Weather this means that the psu is going to fail or not I don't know but would guess again that one of these times it is not going to turn on at all.

Psu's do have something in them that resets but this usually occurs when it get hot for some reason (usually bad) you then have to let it cool and unplug it and plug it in again to make it work (reset). But this is just the opposite of your problem though.

If you have a good surge protecter you should not have to unplug it.

Rick

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
to add to dobys info... you may be looking at something as daft as a dry solder joint within the psu...either on the board (capacitor etc ) or the actual socket fitting theat your power lead goes to...they are awful to get into and remember if it is a capacitor thats faulty you maybe able to get it fixed but take care cos they hold a lot of charge (as i found out fixing a tv the other day ouch lol) the best idea is to take it to reputable firm (thats cheap) to test the psu

hope this helps

:tazz: ;) ;)