Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I just got a brand new custom gaming pc. I have Wnidows XP Media Center Edition, and with that I receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium. I plays various FPS (BF2, BF 2142, CSS, Halo, etc). First of, will my new pc be able to run Vista Home Premium well? Secondy is it even a good idea since I do all of this gaming. Here are my pc specs.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E x16 256MB VIDEO CARD
250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

If you need any more specs, just let me know.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Yes it will, with ease. I don't know why people think Vista needs such high specs - it's practically nothing compared to what they question on. Just curious though, where'd you buy that PC?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your system is well above the minimum spec to run, but my advice is to stay with XP at least until Vista has matured a bit and any serious problems or bugs have been discovered and fixed. On top of that, many hardware and software makers haven't caught up with Vista's driver requirements or patches yet.

Don't be one of the first on the Vista band-wagon, you may regret it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Vista puts more demands on a sytem's resources compared to XP. For gaming that's the last thing you need.

Another consideration is Microsoft's licensing policy which invalidates your XP key when Vista is installed. Not a problem if Vista turns out to be brilliant, but suppose you have problems with it and want to return to using your XP instead?

See article G2G front page: http://www.geekstogo.com/

Edited by pip22, 08 February 2007 - 01:59 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I ordered it of of Cyber Power PC. They were great price and service wise. Everything works great, so if you are look into a custom gaming pc; I reccomend them!