Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor is not getting a signal

• Please log in to reply

Kaizotez

Kaizotez

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Here we go.

A few months ago I crashed my computer while plugging in a usb printer. I plugged into a port that had lost some sort of part so it was just 4 metal prongs sticking out. Well if memory serves, the computer immediatly restarted only there was a slight problem, there was no signal to the monitor. Thinking something had happened with the power, I checked to make sure parts were still working. All fans are working, lights work, graphics card is getting power- it seems like everything is getting power. I have tried switching back to the original amount of RAM in the computer, nothing happened. I have taken the graphics card out and plugged it into the other monitor slot that came with the computer but that too had no effect. I unplugged all the cords that connected the faulty usb slot (it is not part of the back of the computer) with the motherboard and that didnt work. Finally, taking advice from another forum I saw that helped someone else get there computer working again, I used the bios jumper to set it back to factory settings and still nothing has changed.

So this leaves me with one question, what in the world am I suppose to do next. So I am turning to help here with the hope that someone will have an idea that I have not thought of. I still wonder if perhaps I did something to my motherboard when I plugged that printer into the broken usb port though. If it helps heres as much as I can remember about my computer

Fry's custom PC (3-4 years old)
Windows XP
Gforce 7800GS 256mb (added, originally no video card)
1.5+ gigs of RAM (originally 512)
ATI wonder tv tuner (added)
pentium 4 2+ Ghz (can't remember but I think it was close to 3 Ghz)
350 W power supply

If there is anything else you need to know in order to help, don't hesitate to ask.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I have no answer here but I would just like to clarify, you have swapped the graphic card for another and then didn't work so we are talking about a dud motherboard, btw did you try it with another monitor just in case it isn't the leads or something
recap
- it is not the graphic card
- it is not the rams sticks
- it is not the drivers but how can one tell
- no bleep sounds

Kaizotez

Kaizotez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ya, I have tried 2 different video cards as well as 2 different monitors. I think it's not the video card drivers (working fine up until the accident) but I can't know that for sure. I don't hear any bleeps when I turn it on either. Just to check, how loud would the bleep be? I heard a pretty loud one once that made me jump when I forgot to put the power cord into my video card while it was plugged into the motherboard, so is it supposed to be that loud or do I need to be using headphones or speakers to hear it?

Anyway sounds to me like I am going to need to purchase a new motherboard or even a new computer then?