Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with CD drive

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
try cleaning the disk:

"Most of the time, when a CD suddenly refuses to play, it means that dirt, fingerprints or scratches on the CD are interfering with the drive's ability to read the disk. Wiping the read side of the disk from the center outwards with a mild soap and water solution, or a cleaning solution made for CDs, and a lint-free cloth will usually clean off dirt and fingerprints. The operative words here are "wipe", as in gently, and "from the center outwards". Don't scrub and don't work in circles; work from the center all the way out to the edge."

http://www.acronis.c...damaged-cd.html

Advertisements

Insane Tadpole

Insane Tadpole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

try cleaning the disk:

"Most of the time, when a CD suddenly refuses to play, it means that dirt, fingerprints or scratches on the CD are interfering with the drive's ability to read the disk. Wiping the read side of the disk from the center outwards with a mild soap and water solution, or a cleaning solution made for CDs, and a lint-free cloth will usually clean off dirt and fingerprints. The operative words here are "wipe", as in gently, and "from the center outwards". Don't scrub and don't work in circles; work from the center all the way out to the edge."

http://www.acronis.c...damaged-cd.html

sorry about the long reply, i was at camp but there is no problem with the disk.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
some drives can't read certain disks. That's why I carry a spare drive with me. I'll put the drive on a stack of books, next to the pc, and move the power and data cable over and load the disk that way. I think your going to have to load it with another drive....