Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup disk doesn't boot windows me

• Please log in to reply

robcam

robcam

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I get program.exe error on start up and it says to reinstall Windows me. I have a start up disk but when I put it in the drive and try to start again I get the same error. It doesn't even try to read the disk.

Everything I read says I should be able to boot from the floppy. but haven't found out what you do when the floppy doesn't get read.

Does someone have a solution to this? Oh yeah I don't have my Windows Me cd. It is a Dell computer.

Thank you

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
By default, a PC will look at the a:\ drive (and sometimes the cd-rom, too) before checking the c:\ drive to boot, but some people change the setting in BIOS to boot to the c:\drive first to shave a couple seconds off the boot.

Could someone have done that on your system?

If so, drop into bios and change the boot order back.

robcam

robcam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Gerry

Nobody would have changed the BIOS that I know of. My next question will be proof of that.

How do I get to the BIOS since the system doesn't boot?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is very much machine dependent.

Usually, when you start your computer, as the memory counts up you see a message on the bottom saying press ?? to enter setup.

Once in setup (bios), you need to look for BOOT or BOOT ORDER, or ADVANCED....

Do not fiddle with anything you don't understand. All you want to do is switch the boot order to FLOPPY or REMOVABLE to be the first device.

If you can provide the make and model of the PC or the motherboard, I might be able to offer more assistance

joey52

joey52

• Pip
  • 2 posts
did you go into you BIOS and tell your system to boot from the floppy drive?
If you have a manual , it will tell you which key you will need to press at startup to enter your bios hope this helps.

robcam

robcam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks guys. I got into the bios and the floppy was setup as the 1st boot device. I just saved again and did a reboot with the startup disk and I got it going. I did a restore and now have the desktop back.

Though I am back to my original proble. I get an error MSIMM has caused an error in kernell32dll when I try to create a message in outlook

Also when I go to the contol panel it opens a panel but doesn't display any icons. Search files doesn't work. And explorer is only partly functional. Though firefoc works fine!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you didn't mention the original problem in the original post

the msimm issue is rare, and usually is correctable with a outlook repair, but coupled with the second problem, I would lean torwards a trojan investation.

Would need to look at your start up programs to say for sure...have you installed anything, including windows updates recently?

robcam

robcam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ironicaly the problem originally happenned when I installed 2 windows updates. Can these be un installed?

I had Norton virus protection on the machine. It won't run now as well.

joey52

joey52

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok ..i'll start again ..my pc will boot past the mem check .. then it says it has a keyboard error or no keyboard it just sits there .. i cant do anything with it . i somehow lost my drivers for the keyboard & mouse and i dont have the mobo install disk .. any other suggestions .. BTW this is not the pc im workin on

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, robcam

Especially the kb891711 update

Joey, please start your own thread.

robcam

robcam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Gerry..I see a lot of posts about that update

Since I can't get into my add/remove programs area is there another way to un install this update to see if that gets things straight?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can disable the update with hijackthis, and I thnk, msconfig will have a setting for it too.

That said, you have a dell...do a search for the .cab files....Dell used to put the installation files on your harddrive.