Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP RE-INSTALL & CLEAN UP

• Please log in to reply

eddsamuelson

eddsamuelson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi:

i am new to this forum, and i need expertise about windows xp reinstallation.

this adventure all began when i received a blue skreen and message that the registry was corrupt or missing. dell said the solution was to re-install windows. i´ve done that, and in that process set up a second folder for windows, that i called windows2.

questions:

a. how do i transfer over to the new windows all of my applications, documents and photos to the new operating system?

b. how do i delete the original windows folder and installlation from my hard drive?

thanks

edd

Edited by eddsamuelson, 08 February 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
a. Transferring programs - this can't be done. You must install the software under the new Windows installation. You may end up with a messy Program Files folder, as you'll have the folders for programs you installed under your original Windows installation, whether you reinstall or not. For those programs you don't reinstall, you can delete the folder from Program Files to free up space.

Anything (files, documents, photos, etc) from your "My Documents" folder (c:\documents and settings\oldusername) can by copied to your new "My Documents". You may have to take ownership of the old user folders to gain access. See this link for instructions.

b. Deleting old Windows. Be sure you are logged in to the new installation, then you may be able to just delete c:\Windows (default installation folder for Windows XP). After a reboot, open MSCONFIG (Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG), Boot.ini tab, click "Check all Boot Paths". This should remove the invalid/old path.

Please post back any questions, issues, or success.