Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard freeze

• Please log in to reply

angel5565

angel5565

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am not sure if this is a hardware problem or not, but thought I'd start here.

With increasing frequency, my computer is freezing up. It started as once a week or so, and now I can't be up and running more than a few minutes without it happening. The first sign is that my keyboard/touchpad stop working. I have a few precious seconds to use the mouse to save and shut down applications before the whole thing crashes. I am running malware and virus scans right now in safe mode and all seems well so far, so I thought I'd post here since the problem only seems to occur when I try to type (I think it would stay up and running indefinitely until I touch the keyboard - am testing this currently, will let you know.)

I have an hp dv1000 notebook running Windows XP. I have been using a USB mouse, which doesn't freeze when the keyboard, etc. freezes. I've done some general internet searches and searched on hp's technical site, and this doesn't seem to be any recognized problem(?). Any advice is much appreciated!

THANKS!!
Angela

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
but the only thing I could tell you is try a usb keyboard. I have seen ones that have a usb port on them so you can plug a mouse in as well in case you only have one port. Other than that, if you are sure you are clean, take it to a place that does laptop work...