Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print queue won't empty after print job is done

• Please log in to reply

rorowlands

rorowlands

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After successfully installing a USB 2.0 single port ethernet print server - my print queue won't empty after each print job prints successfully. When I booted up my computer this morning, every print job from yesterday printed again. When I checked the print queue, every job from yesterday was still in the queue and I had to manually clear them. This is only happening on my laptop. My two desktop computers are not having this issue. I have checked to see that all switches are identical between the three computers and they are.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check a setting in the properties for the printer.
1. Open Control Panel on the problem laptop.
2. Click "Printers & Faxes"
3. Right-click the default printer and choose "Properties".
4. Click the 'Advanced' tab.
5. The option to "Keep printed documents" should NOT be ticked.

rorowlands

rorowlands

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks...it is not "ticked"

I am beginning to think it has something to do with communication between the printer and my laptop. The only way I could get the printer to work at all was using the TCP/IP port option because my company owned laptop runs on a different network than my home network. I can't see the other computers and periferals on the home network. The offending printer is an HP 1200 series Laserjet. However, the offending laptop also communicate with a Konica/Minolta Magicolor 2300 over a TCP/IP connection on the same network and the communication is fine. The print queue clears properly after a print job is finished. Only difference is that the Magicolor is a network equiped machine whereas the HP is using the new print server I installed. I think I mentioned earlier that three other computers on the home network print and clear properly. I appreciate your suggestion.